Sign in to follow this  
Graphicxtasy

Illustrator Question for layering lettering

I've read through this board and can't seem to find an answer to this question.

I know you can use inkscape to do two layers on lettering but quite frankly I'm dissapointed with the quality that comes out of it.

Does anyone know a way to get it to work in Illustrator. Strokes won't work but there has to be a way.

It would be much simpler since I design everything in Illustrator and I can just send right to signcut.

Guest Terry

I think it is under outline stroke, then path, creat outlines?. I did it once but can't remember how. I'll try it again, and post it.

Guest Terry

Type text, place stroke 4pt from pallette, click object tool, menu-type- create outline, object-path-outline stroke.

I think?

When adding strokes in illustrator you may also want to open your pathfinder window, hold alt and click on the "add to shape area" button to remove all of the unwanted paths.

We need to elaborate on this subject a bit more. Anyone with more info on exactly how to do this please leave info.

It seems even after "simplifying" the paths you not remove the internal paths with out deleting it's internal colors.

For an example:  Take the letter "O" (provided you have used stroke path) after looking at the path in "path view" and simplifying the object you will see a path around the edge of the stroke (which is correct), one around the inside of the "O' which is correct but the problem comes in when you notice there are paths around the original "O" from where the offset/stroke starts from.  It seems you can not remove this path without deletion of everything inside of it, thus you loose the inside of the "O".

Hum..

Ok I got it.

Going to cut this one out to make 100% sure and I will see if I can not post a video tutorial.

I have had a lot of problems with the internal lettering colors. It seems in illustrator after I trace out the letters, if there are multiple colors there will be an  "o" or "a" with the inside a different color than the actual letter was painted....  anyone know how to overcome this?

hey Andy,

Joe wrote up a tutorial on it, thus why I never did one my self.

Just do a search for Adobe Illustrator.  :huh:

Eric

thanks dbtoutfit, yes I saw Joe's tutorial after I sent my message to you. Helped me alot!!!

Sorry hairyconiption dont know the answer to your question coz Im a new to this.