Sign in to follow this  
smithmotorsports99

Helmet Shield

Man O man.... soooooooooo close!  :thumbsup: You just about have it nailed! GJ

Here is what I did on this one. This one is taller for more sun block, it should be slightly wider, trim excess with exacto or blade and trim out snap holes with exacto if possible. By looking at your new measurments, your shield is 16"w with 1" drop. This has a extra curved layer of your name/sponsor on top!  :thumbsup:

Give it a try, let us know how you come out. This one should be near perfect.

Name may need to be narrowed a tad to clear snap holes.

post-5133-12986540376356_thumb.jpg

SUN_visor.eps

post-5133-12986540395439_thumb.jpg

SUN_visor.eps

Well round 16 went better.  I know how more feedback for you.

I should have lowered the size.  Side to side we are right on, just a little over hang but that is good.  up and down, that was crazy large.  I should have known that was coming when I looked at the measurements in SB.  Talk about blocking the sun! haha!

Now I have another three pictures for you.  With the vinyl on I am 3/8" of an inch low on either side as you can see in the pictures.  Now sure how to correct that one.

I took a picture where I might have the vinyl sit when finished.  You can see it's narrow in the middle and thicker towards the sides.  I guess by correcting this 3/8" gap we have this will solve this?

You are teaching me a great deal here!  Thanks so much.

post-4652-12986540376965_thumb.jpg

post-4652-12986540395516_thumb.jpg

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :rolleyes: Now that there is funny! You could always just close your eyes and think of "SMITH AUTOMOTIVE" get the same job done and then listen for crowd cheers and boos to know how you are doing!  :D

Ok, not sure where it went wrong there, I did notice it "looks" like the name is not curved. Might be illusion though. Anyways you are doing great I think this last and final sample will nail it and cure the issues you are having.

This one is straight across the top and curved at bottom. So figure how much sun block you want, center the black adjust up and down to fit your needs and lay black only. Trim top, sides and snap holes. Then lay the lettering down where you want them as your last step last.

Some may be following this and reading this thread wondering why would you do this or that. The reason is to me its a easy way for a newbie to learn this cut and understand curvatures and drops. There are many ways it can be done.

post-5133-12986540378657_thumb.jpg

smith-o-visor.eps

post-5133-12986540401852_thumb.jpg

smith-o-visor.eps

Tekcorps,

I think we are going somewhere here.  I'm going to try out all our new findings this weekend.  I really appreciate the time and help.

Now it's onto trying to come up with a way to design the rest of the helmet.  I had a guy at work that does tattoos say he would design something that I can scan in.  He just wants a template of the helmet.  WHAT?!  I didn't want to tell him he was crazy.  But come on!

Here's a batch I finished up this evening for an Impact helmet.

Took a piece of clear xfer, applied to visor and traced 1.5" down. Snapped a pic and imported into SBE, traced it & tweaked a little and bada-bing we're in business  :thumbsup:

This was for an Impact Charger or Vapor helmet (not sure which) but I would bet this will work for most Impact helmets. Seemed to be quite a bit different curvature from my Simpson Valor/Shark.

photo.php?pid=2245055&l=a779f8cdc5&id=501193026

impact visor screen.EPS

impact visor screen.EPS

I did also,  Thanks guys!

I still haven't worked my helmet yet.  Still haven't figured out a design I like.  Almost gave up and had a company do it.  But I decided if I have a cutter, I'm going to use my cutter!

Installed and ready for racing...

He won the Fast Dash & Feature so I can officially say that these not only block nasty sun and make your helmet look better, but they also improve performance  :thumbsup:;D

post-4566-12986541075143_thumb.jpg

post-4566-12986541083599_thumb.jpg