MattS

first timer with question

I am interested in taking real photos and manipulating them to a decal.  What are some techniques on taking a photo of an animal or such and making a image for a vinyl cut out.

Software I have is Photoshop CS2 and SignBlazer Elements

That sounds like a chunk to chew off. I can imagine with all the color or shading variation a photo will contain, you've got your work cut out (No pun intended). I had some ArcSoft that would cartoonize a photo at one time. This reduced the number of tones and outlined the major portions of the image. I wonder if that would be one way to approach it. If you're successful, I'd like to see the finished example posted here.

Guest fivestar

You can do it, I haven't did it myself but have seen posts at t-shirtforums.com about it.  You change the picture to grayscale then black and white then adjust the tones to get the best look.

exactly how Fivestar said...one thing,I use photoshop to get rid of any background.

I did some pretty neat decals of Elvis just to see if I could, Worked out well. Not that I like Elvis all that much but he has a face that is easy to recognize .