Sign in to follow this  
thewvsignguy

ENCAD inks

Hello all! ;D I have a question I hope someone on here can answer. I bought a ENCAD CROMA24 (300dpi) inkjet printer and I want to know if all of the inks are the same for the ENCAD printers like the NOVAJET 36, 50, PROe, 500, 600, 700). I'm looking for the GO inks and I have found some inks but there very costly$$$$ ;D I have found some on ebay but I'm not sure that they will work with my printer. Will the inks work or not even thoughthey are not "made " for my printer? I just dont want to make a $300 mistake and any input from from the people on this site would be a great help. Thanks!!

Yup, I talked to Kent??? at globalprintsupply.com. He knows what he is talking about and told me exactly what I need to get for my printer. Thanks for the help! Have you or do you used their inks?

Guest Terry

I have a Nova jet 736 The inks are different for indoor, outdoor, and for vinyl. I use GO & GX

I found out that all of the ENCAD inks are the same, GS, GS+ & GO. Any of the inks will work in the printer but the ink cartridges are different. Only the Novajet4 and Croma24 cartridges are compatable. I'm looking at a Novajet 600, 700 because of the 600dpi feature and the bulk ink systems. How do the GO inks hold up outdoors?

Guest Terry

I think the printer is junk and a pain. WAY to many problems.

I beg to differ with you Terry.

I just printed four vinyl outdoor signs for a local venison processor using GO inks. The problems I encountered were because my printer had faulty new print heads (right out of the wrapper). The shelf life is not the greatest, but I figure if I prime it once or twice a day they will stay clear of drying ink. The outcome looks sharp from my novajet 760 and the customer is pleased. I'm letting them dry overnight because I plan to laminate them for outdoor use. Even though the GO inks will hold up in the rain. The signs will fade in the sun and I expect the UV laminate will protect it from road salt.

NY resident, Bob

Yea, keeping the print heads clean and clear can be a real pain. I run a MacDermid Colorspan 72UVX (flatbed 4 CMYK printer) at work and the maintaining the printer is ALOT of work. But we can produce full color banners up to 6' tall at any length and 18 X 24 coro signs in no time compaired to what it would take to EDGE them or produce them with vinyl. It takes about a 1/2 hour in the morning just to get the printer to produce a good quality print that is acceptable to the customer but I guess the artist is his worst critic.  :angry:

......what it would take to EDGE them or produce them with vinyl. It takes about a 1/2 hour in the morning just to get the printer to produce a good quality print that is acceptable to the customer

WVsignguy,

Do you use the Encad ICC profiles for your Croma24? And Have you set up Print presets for each paper type you are using?

This might save you some time.

Bob

Guest Terry

I guess what I'm saying is unlike most quality printers that you turn on and print... The Encad 736 is a pain because it needs to be primed a lot and the entire process is just a mess.

Bob, No I have yet to even print anything with the croma, bought it and havent had the time to play with it yet. I was talking about the Colorspan 72UVX is a pain to get primed and ready to go. It seems that the printheads ALWAYS clog for some reason. We started with the Flexi 8 ICC profiles and tweaked them from there and must say that the output is impressive when everything works the way it's suposed too. LOL

Terry, even with a $80k printer (Colorspan 72UVX), anything with a exposed printhead is a pain to clean, keep clean and they are all a mess... Maybe I'll go back to the roland pc600 thats a great thermal printer for the money. I just like the fact of the wide format printing for some reason and the fact that you can go from decals to banners with out the labor involved like the vinyl. I've been in the vinyl cutting business for the last 9 years and just looking for something else to get into and I love the fact my designs are not limited to the vinyl colors on hand.