edge

Applied vinyl gassing, blistering, bubbling?

While I'm still relatively new at this, I have had mostly success when it comes to applying vinyl without bubbles forming. Things were much different last week when I applied Avery 6 year gold vinyl to a vehicle window. I cleaned the glass as usual and squeegied the graphic as normal. Everything appeared good for 24 hours. After that, the best I can describe my experience is as unbelievable...where did all those bubbles come from? This application was never subjected to intense sunlight, it wasn't even that hot around here during that time. I know there will be those that say vinyl does not gas. Still I'm left wondering if the pigments of some colors make them more prone to bubbles?

I've never had bubbles appear afterwards,once I got it on. That is odd. I have noticed that I get more bubbles with some colors than others.(dry application only) Red seems to be the worst, but I've never done gold except on banners which I do wet with no problems.

Maybe wait another day and see if they go away? I've seen someone post on here that this can happen.

Let me interject a bit of physics here..this applies to wet apps only..even a tiny amount of water,when left under the vinyl..even with just normal heat,will evaporate eventually. The water expands as it heats up. I have heard that even vinyl is permeable,so that bit of air should penetrate the vinyl eventually. I'm not  a teacher and maybe didn't explain it well,but I have had bubbles to begin with,that disappeared after a few days.

I've never seen bubbles pop up after being applied. I have seen bubbles go away after being applied. Just a tip, apply all your window decals wet unless they're real small. You'll probably have to invest in a heat gun as well, squeegeeing all the fluid out from underneath is a bitch on windows.

I've had no problems so far applying Avery A6 Gold to windows.

If there was water left underneath the decal when applied, I could possibly see it bubbling. If not, might be a bad roll even.

Sometimes Avery works good, sometimes avery is bad... 

I try my best to stay away from avery... Not because what I have heard about it, but my experience...

I got a roll of white a few years ago... I would say that 75% of my customers came back with the viny peeling away within 2 weeks...

After I investigated on the net, I found out that I was not alone...

http://www.avery-vinyl.com/

I purchased the roll from ebay...  Bad move... Thats why I tend to stay away from Ebay for no-name vinyl.....

Avery did have a BIG Boo-Boo on their A9 vinyl about a year or so ago. They put the wrong adhesive on the vinyl for 18 months, never issued a recal but waited for the customers to come back and complain about the shotty work and the vinyl bubbling up and the edges curling up. It was and still is a pain trying to get your money back out of them but you had to go back threw the person you got the vinyl from to get some compensation. 95% of the time I have had good luck with AVERY and only deal with 1 person to buy my vinyl from. Also sometimes if you don't apply enough pressure to the vinyl on the glass you can get bubbles that pop up, but it sounds like bad adhiesive to me. Just my 2 cents worth.....