Sign in to follow this  
klattin3

What kind of transfer tape for RTA decals??

hello all,

been reading the forum on this but i cant find anyone who mails decals to customers. im using r tape and conform(both clear app tape) but when i put it on and the decal heats up there is all kind of tunneling and bubbles.

also, how do you mail large decals? i have a customer that wants 2 24" decals.

Thanks,

Keith

hello all,

been reading the forum on this but i cant find anyone who mails decals to customers. im using r tape and conform(both clear app tape) but when i put it on and the decal heats up there is all kind of tunneling and bubbles.

also, how do you mail large decals? i have a customer that wants 2 24" decals.

Thanks,

Keith

In my business, all of my decals/graphics are shipped all over the world. I ship large car graphics (both sides) rolled  loosely together as long as 12ft,   I use Main Perfect tear paper tape..I do tape the ends of the transfer tape to the end of the graphic paper on both ends, roll with graphic on inside.  ship in boxes 24" x 6x 6 from ULINE.com  different boxes for different width of decals and stripes.  Unroll and just fine. They have to go over with a squeegee lightly before apply.. No problems,,,

Roll the decal to the outside, so the decal doesn't buckle. For smaller one's that you can fit into and envelope, the Scotch Tape people make a scotch tape that is removable - Not expensive. I've used that to tape the corners of the app tape to keep them from curling - Included a note to remove the tape in the corners.

I purchase mine right here,, except I purchase a 48" log and have mine slit in different lengths,  they slit free.  great seller and fast ship,,,  they also have a website  out of EBAY..

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-X-100yd-Roll-Main-Tape-PerfecTear-Application-Tape_W0QQitemZ200350790624QQihZ010QQcategoryZ46741QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest round2racing

Ok, what is an RTA decal?

I use clear transfer tape, and ship in envelopes. I don't tape the corners or anything. Never had an issue, sent out hundreds of them.

Larger stuff (more then 9" x 12") I ship in old vinyl roll tubes, roll with graphic to the outside. I also ship banners this way.

Guest round2racing

Thanks Dave, I have been wondering what everyone meant.

Yes, I'm a newbie......LOL

I ship all my decals, anything that is flat I can use clear tape, but anything I roll I haven't liked how the clear tape handles it as well.  Roll them with tape to the outside and don't roll them too tight,  I ship them in assorted tubes and boxes I have bought from places, uline and others.  I rolled one backwards once and tight and when I shipped it it had wrinkled really bad.  Customer emailed, I called him had him lay it flat, tape down the middle lift half and pull it tight and squeegee it back to the backer paper then do the other side, that worked great for him, but that has been my only "bad" experience.  None of the vinyl wrinkled or anything at all.  I have started to use some larger sized boxes that are about 3-6 inches deep and kinda laying the decal in there like an accordion and that has worked really well, that way the customer doesn't have to fight the decal wanting to roll on them really at all.

i use the clear tape for 6 X 9 decals and under and mail in Manila envelopes, but even at the flea market when the sun hits them and they get hot, here comes the bubbles and the tunneling BAD, i guess i will just use the clear for street signs and caution signs where the customer doesn't have to take and apply.

maybe I'm just using crappy clear app tape??  ;)

mailed some out today using paper tape and folding the edge, we will see what happens..... ;)

conform AT-60 is good clear app tape,,  I do use it for small decals,, but I ship them flat.. between cardboard,,,