Sign in to follow this  
tinaski

Ok Linux and mh series-- project--

We have 2 computers and one has Ubuntu on it and the other has XP. If it wasn't for cutting software I would be all Ubuntu. Right now I design in Linux and cut in windows so I'm going to try to get cutting software to work in Linux. I have seen a couple of people make Inkscape work as a designer and a cutter but I still haven't found the script that needs editing but still looking.

I have also seen that people have used VMware and run flexi or another program inside it. but since VMware is about $80 I'm going to try a few other open source programs.

the new chip set I haven't looked too hard but what is the chipset that is in the newer cutters. from what I read sometime in 2008 they changed to a different one and if anyone knows that that would be very helpful.

this is going to be a high priority for me. we think that some of the issues that were having is windows and we would be more stable if we went with Linux.

if anyone is interested I can keep everyone posted.

if anyone has any information feel free to add to this or email me and we all can benefit from it

when I have done searches in forums for Linux and cutting there really isn't a great instructions on how to make it all work so I will be keeping a log and hope to have all the different ways to make it work when I am done. then I hope to make step by step instructions for everyone.

thanks

VMware server is a free app, I use it at work on a couple different machines. I run a couple linux servers from it. It works great.

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

I would kill to get the time to set my ubuntu machine to cut with, but I just don't have it right now. Once word got around I was cutting it's been crazy non stop.

Kevin

last night after I did the post I downloaded virtual box. then I installed windows xp inside it. wow how cool is that.

but I hit a stump so tonight I will be working on that. usb will not open. I think I have all my setting right but I'm not too sure but tonight I will play with it more. when I go to my computer everything is there C: D: but no USB to hook up my external hard rive and that computer doesn't have any serial or parallel ports so I have to get the USB to open.

if I cant get it in a day or to I will try the VMware and see if that is any better

one thing I don't like about it you cant copy and past anything from one OS to the other or at least I tried and cant do it.

last night after I did the post I downloaded virtual box. then I installed windows xp inside it. wow how cool is that.

but I hit a stump so tonight I will be working on that. usb will not open. I think I have all my setting right but I'm not too sure but tonight I will play with it more. when I go to my computer everything is there C: D: but no USB to hook up my external hard rive and that computer doesn't have any serial or parallel ports so I have to get the USB to open.

if I cant get it in a day or to I will try the VMware and see if that is any better

one thing I don't like about it you cant copy and past anything from one OS to the other or at least I tried and cant do it.

You need to load "Guest Additions" inside of the windows install. That should take care of the USB issue along with going thru the settings and making sure that USB is enabled.(It's in the first screen after starting "Virtual Box")

i did all that and still cant get my usb to work correct. i have a printer USB and that works fine. when i go to see what is active all i have is the printer my external hard drive and everything else is greyed out cant do nothing with it.

Have you installed the drivers in the windows virtual machine for the usb serial cord?

I know this is an older post and I am not sure if you got this working but I just set it up and it works great.  for reference I am running Ubuntu 9.04 with Sun Virtual Box 2.2.4.  I have XP loaded in a Vbox.  the way I got it to work was with the vbox off, connect the cutter to the computer.  no need to install anything in linux.  launch the Sun Virtual Box manager, select your vm, from the details tab click on USB, click the usb+ icon on the right and select FTDI FT232 USB UART[0600] from the list then boot your gues os.  from there windows will detect the usb device and will ask for the drivers.  from there follow the standard install instructions.  I am running all my apps that need Micro$oft in a vm.

Here is a screen shot that my help.

Screenshot.jpg

I love linux, have been running different distros since 1995.  Mostly servers, if I could run corel and CS4 in Linux I would have no need to use M$ at all.  The first thing I cut with my 721 was a couple ubuntu logos to go on our cars. 

I did get it to work. in virtual terminal and it does work good few down sides biggest down side cant copy and paste from one OS to the other.

so I thing after I get some time im going to look into changing script to cut directly from Linux.

the only designer I use right now is Inkscape does almost everything I need it to do.