Sign in to follow this  
helpinghand

Etched and painted

I have ventured into the etching venue and am very excited. Just wanted to say thanks to those here that have shown their prior work for getting me interested. I'm hooked! I painted these items after etching as the etch didn't show well without it. I've also done glassware with and without paint.

post-3957-12986538694822_thumb.jpg

post-3957-12986538695135_thumb.jpg

post-3957-12986538705125_thumb.jpg

post-3957-12986538705293_thumb.jpg

post-3957-12986538729646_thumb.jpg

post-3957-12986538746001_thumb.jpg

Guest round2racing

What kind of paint are you using?

I am doing some etching and I really like your work.

Thanks. I found some paint markers at walmart. Are permanent and for glass, wood, pottery, metal, ceramic, plastic, fabric and more. They're called Painters made by Elmer's. I just painted over the design, rubbed my finger over it to make sure in all the grooves. Blew on it a bit to let it get kinda dry then buffed over it all with a clean paper towel to remove the excess from the smooth glass area. The terra cotta pot I painted with the vinyl mask still on as I figured it was too pourous to be able to rub it off afterward.

Swanee, I've got a benchtop sandblaster and am using some garnet grit. I've just been using scraps of oracal that I had been saving "just in case" lol (knew they'd come in handy for something)

Guest round2racing

so you are using regular vinyl?

I've been buying stencil material, and it's not cheap.

Yep just reg vinyl. My understanding is the stencil stuff releases easier. It's a bit of a bugger to get the vinyl off after blasting. I run it under warm - hot water and use my fingernail to get it up. But I figure I've got all this scrap I've been saving why not use it. Couldn't do a staged etching with it though as it won't release easy enough I think. I haven't graduated to that phase yet.

the heron is attached.

Birds_heron1a_1.eps

Birds_heron1a_1.eps