Sign in to follow this  
Guest LoungeLover

Media Roll Flanges on short rolls?

Guest LoungeLover

Does anyone here who use short rolls of vinyl put it on Media Roll Flanges?  Or, do you just roll it up and secure it between the guides on your cutter?  (If the latter, does the roll always stay there?)

I found myself test cutting with sign vinyl last evening for a roll that was 15" x 2 yds. (Sign vinyl is a different beast than heat press apparel vinyl).  The sign vinyl was extremely "curly". 

I'm either going to using it on the flanges I have, or try sticking it between the back guides by rolling it up.  However, I find sometimes when rolling up vinyl and sticking it between the guides, it still drops itself down the back of the cutter.

Thanks...

For small rolls 15" I put it between the guides, pull some out, line it up, clap it down and roll out about 3' or until it touches the floor before I cut anything. I do the same for 24" rolls.

- These cutters are not made to "pull" the weight of the vinyl roll.

when you get short sections of vinyl that you want to cut and it has been rolled up,  try reverse rolling it, and let it set for a bit before putting in your cutter,, it will flatten out and not be so curly...works for me.. ;)

Guest LoungeLover

Never tried the reverse rolling, great tip I'll have to use!

Also - hadn't thought about the cutters not being made to pull the roll's weight.  I do give some slack though, but need to get my practice down better.  Will try that tonight.

I appreciate the help.