Sign in to follow this  
mr300s

Ebay and copyrighted material

I have been spending some time today looking at decals on ebay and it seems there is a ton of folks selling copyrighted material, is it that ebay doesn't do anything about it?  I saw Harley Davidson, John Deere, BMW, NY Yankees, and the list can go on and on.  Whats your take on this....

Yes, there are alot of sellers doing that,,, it takes the copyright owner to report them to EBAY...then they will be taken down, and possibly the seller suspended, there is a  VERO PROGRAM... Intellectual Property Rights Owner About Me pages. where they can be reported to owner at.. not all owners are there...but some...

Guest sciondrgn

I was selling Scion Decals for a while on there and they told me to stop  ;)

I was selling halo and gears of war decals to someone who was then selling them on ebay and he was also told to stop after about three months but there's one guy who's been doing it for about a year.  My guess it's less to do with the copyright holder complaining and more with people knocking off competition.Either way that ended my selling of copyrighted materials other than a certain underground record company who has a image to uphold that would be affected drastically if they were to go after a fan..

bottom line is ebay will do NOTHING unless someone points it out to them. This could be the copyright holder or a competator.

This is how you take advantage:

While everybody else sell the same things (Yankees, BMW, Harley Davidson), you think of empty niche markets and fill them. You will have little or no competition. The others will have to lower their prices because there are 1,675 sellers with New York Yankees decals, while you can make more profit because there are only 3 sellers with "X Niche market" decals. You know what I mean?

Probably...

Although I have some X Y Z Niche Market decals and they havent copied them YET.

I have many original designs and I sell them really well and there is nobody else selling them. I check from time to time.

Probably...

Although I have some X Y Z Niche Market decals and they havent copied them YET.

I have many original designs and I sell them really well and there is nobody else selling them. I check from time to time.

Joe, what's your eBay ID?  You must have put some new ones up since the last time I looked. ;)

Yeah but as soon as they see the X niche sticker selling they will copy it.

Not necessarily.  I have several designs that do good.  One started out as a copy, but I added my own flair to it.  There's even another design that although it's a copy of a copy of a copy type deal, I had to spend my own time working with so I could even cut.  I've shared that design on here and it's still selling pretty darn good.

I do have some copies that sell real good also, but here's the kicker; when you scout EBay and find something that might interest you, look at the price.  These so-called niche designs are usually priced by the sellers way too high.  If there's something you are interested in doing, price it reasonable and the people will flock to it.  For instance, the custom stuff that I do, there's actually a good amount of people that have something similar, but I priced myself where I still make money, but people will flock to me.

The only place that I have found a problem has been political decals.  Although I did real good last election, my designs now are doing crap.  Reason why is because feedback has a lot to do with one's designs will show up in the search results using the "best match" criteria and I don't have enough feedback to pop up on the 1st or 2nd page.  I will only show up using "lowest price" criteria.

I was selling the tapout decals like crazy on ebay. Tapout found out about it and shut me down. I got the logo off of a cd that i bought. Ebay is junk in my book. If you going to make one take it off make every one take it off.

I really think some of the owners search eBay but most are reported by other sellers, and if you look some of the big sellers still do it. eBay should look at whos reporting. And if someone reports 20 of your listings at once thats 20 hits not one, you are off eBay.

So now I dont sell anything even questionable and when someone ask I say I dont do copyrighted material.

the only person that I know for a fact got shut down on ebay by the owner was shut down by Microsoft. He was selling laptops with Win98 already installed.  As far as logos...VW is pretty gung-ho about looking for people but I know a guy who sold VW logos for 2 years and never got caught

I didnt steal nothing i bought a vector art cd and the graffic was on it. But any way my custom work brings in a lot more money than ebay.