Desassoc

advice on long straight cuts MH871

I'm needing to cut some long skinny window decals.  Measuring some ~14" wide by ~84" long.

I am basically cutting concentric rectangles (leaving 1" of frosted, 1/2" clear and then a large central frosted area with a logo)

I've run a few test cuts (using the pen and paper) and I get a misalignment of the squares at the top and bottom.

I've attached the file I'm experimenting with.  if it matters, it was created in inkscape, exported to EPS, and cut using signblazer elements.

is it simply a matter of aligning the vinyl in the machine?  or is it perhaps the paper, being a little flimsier, is causing problems.  I just didn't want cut 7' of vinyl if it wasnt working correctly.

DA sidelight Top.eps

DA sidelight Top.eps

are you just cutting the design as 1 long run?  or tiling it, so that it will cut (example),  all of 12'' before going onto the next part of the design? 

I was cutting it as one run.

It is going in as a sidelight, and I wanted as few seams as possible.

I watched the paper as it went through, and there was less that 1/16" of side to side movement.  But my squares are off by nearly 1/4"

I do not know anything about Signblazer,,,, but in Flexi,,,,, You can place tile marks,  it does NOT cut across your design,  it only cuts everything up to the point,  then advances, cuts up to that point, then advances until it is at the end of the design,You still have only I big stripe. Not sections.  That way you do not have your cutter going from one end of the vinyl ,clear to the other end and back and forth.  I make stripes all the time for my business, this is how I do it and they are perfect.  In the picture I have put 6 tiles in your design,  each at about 14.2"  So it will cut all of the first 14".2"  then advance to the next 14.2"  then advance to the next 14.2" until it gets to the end of the design...  It does not cut the lines ACROSS the design,,,,

post-3093-12986537817901_thumb.jpg

post-3093-12986537830596_thumb.jpg

Ive got a Flexi Starter 8.5 on order.  (there was a slip up, and they sent me the PCUT edition instead, so I'm waiting for the reship)

I'll look into elements and see if it can do that as well..  (anyone?) Thanks for the help.

on a related topic, how would you cut something similar for a window that measures 50"h X 70"w?  I have 24" vinyl

most likely, perhaps 48"x68"  cut as two 24"x68" strips.

The intent is to have the majority of the glass area frosted, with a design of some type in the middle.  I havent worked on the actual design yet, but I do have several larger windows to do.  windmills, trees, nature scenes.

it might just be a scene across the bottom half, in which case I'd strive to keep it under 24" tall.

I ordered the 33" model, but only have 24" vinyl at the moment.

once again, you will have to tile it...  My only signware is Flexistarter8.5  and that is all I need for my business.

I didn't see anything about tiling, but there was a setting to either 'minimize cutter movement' or 'minimize vinyl movement'

Sorry I cannot help you with the Signblazer signware.,,never used it.  maybe some of the fellow Signblazer users can help you out with that....

I was reading  product description  on Signblazer    it has  Cutter movement optimisation - optimise for vinyl feeding (long cut jobs) or cutter head movement.  And auto tiling....  You will just have to read all the help areas,  manual, etc. on your signware

I looked at the autotiling, but it was only giving me the option for 1 tile. (which it automatically sized)  I'll have to look into it deeper this afternoon as I have time.

luckily I'm not in a huge rush to get them done, I just need to know how to do it once they say 'you'll have those done tomorrow, right?'

Hello,

I am having a similar problem.  I have the sign Cut Pro and when I add tiles, it doesn't cut them as if it were 1 long file.  It stacks them up and down instead of left to right like the image

l_bb40c3894ef14cc6a6ceabacb9591430.jpg

It would cut the first tile correctly and instead of just moving to the second tile as pictured, it will go left of the first tile and cut and move to the third the same way.  Basically it makes them individually like it is supposed to but not as 1 long image.

Any sugesstions??

Thanks

Scott

I do not know anything about Signblazer,,,, but in Flexi,,,,, You can place tile marks,  it does NOT cut across your design,  it only cuts everything up to the point,  then advances, cuts up to that point, then advances until it is at the end of the design,You still have only I big stripe. Not sections.  That way you do not have your cutter going from one end of the vinyl ,clear to the other end and back and forth.  I make stripes all the time for my business, this is how I do it and they are perfect.  In the picture I have put 6 tiles in your design,  each at about 14.2"  So it will cut all of the first 14".2"  then advance to the next 14.2"  then advance to the next 14.2" until it gets to the end of the design...  It does not cut the lines ACROSS the design,,,,

I set up flexi this way to cut a 6"x 48" decal.  Just to see how it worked, well it cut a line through the decal at the point where the tiles meet, not the entire sheet just the decal part.  I am using flexi pro 8.1.  We use this for our color plotting so I figured I would use it for cutting also.  Is there something that I should be looking for to stop it from cutting the tile lines?

I use FlexiStarter 8.5 and mine never cuts the tile lines,  it starts at first tile, cuts everything in it, then advances to the next tile than does every tile as 1 continous design,  maybe you can show screen shots of the production manager as to what you have clicked, before you send to cut.

I will do that tonight when I am at my computer that has flexi on it. thanks for the quick response.

I got it working.  not sure what I changed but I was working on that late last night so sorry bout that.

While I was weeding a decal last night I noticed that there was a cut where the tiles met.  there are 4 tiles, 12.25in each so I looked the entire thing over and there were cuts between the 2nd and 3rd tiles and the 3rd and 4th tiles, between the 1st and 2nd there was no cut.  I am baffled.  I loaded a roll of paper and the pen and ran it again and it is plotting a line at those spots on paper also.  it worked a couple times because I went back and looked at the stuff I cut yesterday morning and it was fine.  does this make any sense? 

I use FlexiStarter 8.5 and mine never cuts the tile lines,   it starts at first tile, cuts everything in it, then advances to the next tile than does every tile as 1 continous design,   maybe you can show screen shots of the production manager as to what you have clicked, before you send to cut.

I have Flexi starter 8.5 too but I can't get it to open. It starts to load and when it is done loading and ready to open it just closes right away. Any Ideas? thanks

Have you had the software for awhile?  or just buy it?  does it have the dongle?  did you  put the dongle in a USB port in your computer? 

Have you had the software for awhile?  or just buy it?  does it have the dongle?  did you  put the dongle in a USB port in your computer? 

I bought it a couple months or so ago and have never used it and yes I do have the dongle and it is in the usb. Is my computer missing something to open it such as a special java or anything? I just don't understand why it closes right away.