Sign in to follow this  
stryker1

Air bubble problems

I just recently started using Oracal 651 product.  I have been having bad problems with air bubbles during assembly of multiple layers.  I also just started using clear app tape, which I think migh be some of the problem.  Any suggestions or solutions?

I am assembling the different color layers dry.  This is prior to installation.  That was a future question, if it was best in install on windows wet or not and how that would effect the vinyl. 

I was reading some of the other threads regarding air bubles in multiple layers.  Some people suggested instead of dry assembly to use wet assembly even before graphic is installed.  Also could it be a problem that my top layer was red (Oracal 751 and the bottom layer was white (Oracal 651).  Could that be a problem?  I am not having any problems assembling smaller graphics up to 12" square.  This graphic is 18" x 28"

Clear application tape is not the greatest tape for multiple layers, and it's also easier to layer on the substrate.

One of the reasons that I bought the clear app tape was that it made it easier to see the bottom graphic.  This was a suggestion of another member.  I am realy new to all of this.  I keep trying and keep pushing myself.  the only problem is that I am not always installing the graphics for people.  Just providing most of the time.

Plus, you don't want to mix cast and calendered, different rates of shrinkage and such. Shouldn't matter to the initial install though.

Not all app tapes are born equal... it could very well just be the brand you are using. Clear app tape loves static, and that could be one issue. Using the 651 and 751 in combination shouldn't be an issue, other than what Knucklehead mentioned.

Are you laying at the clear app tape down completely and then squeegeeing, or are you squeegeeing as you go?

Water and clear app tape typically don't make... nor does water and vinyl backing paper. If you are installing the decal(s) yourself on a substrate, then layering on site would be your easiest bet... you just use a tad more app tape(for each layer).

I have been laying the app tape down then squeeging.  The app tape that I purchased was the app tape from us cutter, not sure of the brand.  I know that it wasn't Oracal.  Previously when I was using just the standard app tape that I also purchased from Us Cutter, I did not have any air bubble problems.  Should I be squeeging the clear app tape as I apply?

in spite of what some people might say..DRY application is NOT easy and requires a LOT of practice to get it right and I have YET TO SEE a dry app without a single bubble. You can even buy a tool for popping the bubbles. Practice makes perfect but with dry app,there are too many variables that can cause bubbles. Vinyl on vinyl is the hardest of all.

I think that I am having more problems with the assembly of my layers prior to the install.  I have installed on a few windows, always using the wet method and have had very little problems with the bubbles there.  My real problem has been the assembling of the different color layers while at my house prior to giving the graphic to the customer.  It seems like I have been getting a lot of air bubbles since I switched to the clearr app tape, although the alignment is much easier.  Before I started using the clear app tape, I watched a bunch of videos on youtube.  And I have tried to match those techniques.

Have you tried a felt squeegee?  Some folks swear by them.  One gentleman recently stated he prefers the felt because he ends up with less bubbles.

US Cutter may sell them, I don't know.  They may be open to suggestions to carry them also.  Not too long ago, I saw a post requesting suggestions on "items to carry" for lack of better words.

I am sure you will get several helpful hints from forum members.

Good Luck,  Marie

For the wet application, I have been using a few drops of dish soap, with a capful of alcohol and fill squirt bottle with water.

Windows = wet. Unless it's small lettering, you'll get bubbles on windows dry. Especially with clear.

There's a time for wet apps, theres a time for dry apps. I've learned that as i went. Yes a dry app can be done without any bubbles. But I'm not one of those "wet app haters" either. Knowing how to apply wet is essential for windows and large graphics.

For app fluid I go light ob the soap and heavy on the alcohol.

I live in arizona where window temps can sky rocket, will that make a difference on the solution ratio?  Also is there a temperature cut off that you should install vinyl at?  I have read some other posts where people mention a temperature for the other extreme (cold).