Sign in to follow this  
BannerJohn

question for the over 50 crowd.

do any of you take PLAVIX? I have a few questions.

Sorry John, I'm over 50...  ;D No I don't take it... I do have several friends that are very knowledgeable about prescription drugs. PM me if you have a question and I'll see what I can find out.

Peabody

Banner my husband takes Plavix. Have been since Jan. and he takes his at night around 7.

banner   I'm 59 been taking plavix for over a year

Do you take aspirin along with it?

I hav eremoved all posts not relevant to my question.Maybe I should have posted in the mature section. This is serious business.

Guest round2racing

John,

I am a retired paramedic and my ex-husband is still an active paramedic.

Here in the Chicagoland area, he says that plavix is the "next biggest drug".

He said there are a lot of people on it because it has such a great success rate.

However, he did say that it has some of the same side effects as taking Heparin

would one of those side-effects be bruising easily?

would one of those side-effects be bruising easily?

John, yes it would. My g/f said you should not take aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. due to the blood thinning ingredients. She said tylenol would be ok.

Well, let's edit this a little bit.

Plavix and aspirin together is prescribed by doctors for certain types of heart attacks.

Plavix will thin your blood adn aspirin will too.

Check with your doctor please  ;D

doctor told me to take 81mg aspirin along with the Plavix which seems to be standard but I have a feeling my blood is too thin.

If you think you're bruising way too much you could ask your doctor to do a blood bleeding time test, PT INR

If your stools are black and loose go to the doctor soon, this would be a sign of internal bleeding due to it being too thin.

I don't have a doctor. I don't even know the name of the doctor who was my doctor in hospital.

If you are having any of those symptoms and I can see that you are concerned, please go to an urgent care or the emergency room

Guest round2racing

Sometimes a doctor will have you drop your aspirin dosage to once every two days to keep from thinning the blood too much.

Did they not refer you to a cardiologist?

If not, call the hospital that treated you and talk to medical records.  They can tell you who the treating doctor was.  Then, you need to make an appointment to go see him.  He'll want to do a pro-time blood test on you to test the viscosity of your blood.

If your blood is too thin, you can bleed into the intestines, into the lungs, and can cause damage to the liver.

If your stools have a dark, tar-like appearance, that is a sign that your blood is WAY too thin and you should go to the urgent care or emergency room and have them take a look at you.

Please, John.  Blood that is too thin is just as dangerous as blood that is too thick...

None of the other symptoms. I took Plavix for years after I had the stroke in 96,but I guess now I'm getting older and the skin is getting thinner. You see, in addition to the stroke I also have one of my carotid arteries blocked 100% so it is important that my blood be thin.

Are you on kumadin or anything else? My dad had 7 strokes before they were able to get his blood straight and find out what was causing it. The reason he had so many was becuase of dumb A@@ people who apparently couldn't do the pro time right and the doctors changing the amount of kumadin to drastically. I was so ready to go tro jail for murder  ;D

yeah, eventually. There is actually a doctor moved in up the street but I haven't gotten freindly enough yet to ask for free advice,but I will.

John, you should contact the hospital and ask them why they didn't refer you to a heart doctor. The one that worked on my husband is now his doctor. He had him on the 81mg and now he changed it to the 325mg why we don't know he never said why.

So yes you need to see a heart doc. Please

Nancy

I would get ahold of the hospital you were at, explain the situation...I'm sure they will be willing to help you. 

John my husband didn't have any either and he was still refered to one. But we did find out that he is also a county doctor too. So that helped.

Keep your head up and i will pray that all is well.

How is your BP is it staying low or about right.