Benr98

What is the standard size print for the front & back of a tshirt?

Since I went through this entire area, I didn't see where the standard sizes are.

When a customer wants the front of a shirt done, what is the standard size print? Not talking pocket print (I know that one)

Also what is the size for the back?

Thanks.

I know I have the info somewhere, but don't know where I put it after the move!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Jenn,

I have been using a standard 8" wide by 10" height format, and try to fit my fonts and graphics into that area, thats on large and xl shirts, you can inch upward or backward from there. don't be afraid to experiment.

Hi Jenn,

I agree with Primal about experimenting but there are some "industry specs" :

Left Chest = 4"

Full Front / Full Back = 12"

Short Sleeve = 4"

Long Sleeve = 12"

Leg = 14"

Sometimes 12" wide is too big for the front...I have actually had customers request 10" wide.

Hope that helps!

Chrissy

Say It!

• Like 3

Generally standard transfers are normally a max size of 12"x12" (slightly less actually), but I'd say a 10" width is more of the standard and the height is pretty variable, but I'd say normally approximately 6-8" tall is common. 

Thanks to all three of you....I truely appreciate it and this will come in handy!

Great info, everyone!

Is there a standard on how to position the graphics on the shirts as well?  I would guess full fronts and backs would center horizontally, but how far up/down?

How about locations for small logos on the right sides of shirts?

Thanks!

-Ray

I had found this cheat sheet, hope it helps.

post-1738-12986537554764_thumb.jpg

post-1738-12986537563736_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Cool!  I like that.  Any chance you got it from somewhere in a pdf format that you can link us too?  Just want to put it up in the shop for reference and am too lazy to retype it.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Cool!  I like that.  Any chance you got it from somewhere in a pdf format that you can link us too?  Just want to put it up in the shop for reference and am too lazy to retype it.  :rolleyes:

There is a faint "inkjetgarmentprinters.com" watermark...I'd love to have a copy of it too, but can't find it on that site yet.

Wow- Unfortunately, I don't get on here much but THANKS for this information everyone!!

• Like 1

You can use a ruler to measure and spend the extra time for each shirt if it suits you. General rule of thumb for a full front print is 3 fingers down from the bottom of the collar. Your best bet is find what is right for you and your shop and you must have your screen room on the ball. All artwork should be burned in the same spot every time ie... top of image is 6" down from the bottom of the screen frame. This way when you load your shirts in the same spot all the time then its always right on. Speed is the key and pre press is always where the most time can be saved.

I use my handy dandy left hand measuring tool. its always attached to the end of my left arm so it never gets lost :thumbsup:

I go 4 fingers down from the collar on the front, and just under the front collar impression on the backside of the shirt.

everyones fingers are different so I measured mine and the 4 fingers measure 3.5"

I also use my left hand to guage where to put left chest logos.

I put the middle knuckle on my pinky finger at the middle of the bottom edge of the collar, then place the graphic 4 fingers down, at the tip of my middle finger across (imaginary line)

that measures 4" over from center line

hope that helps, you can tape up on a shirt where the graphic should go then put your hand on the edge of the collar to figure out your own handy dandy left hand tool too. depending on your hand size placement is different!

oh, and sometimes with one-of a kind customer supplied v-necks, especially on a ladies (for anatomical reasons) I'll have them put the shirt on, and place a piece of masking tape where they want the left chest logo. Cause I don't wanna get it wrong by guessing how the shirt is going to stretch over her body. and I am usually surprised how far off the tape mark is from where I would have put the logo with the shirt flat on the press, just looks weird. 

• Like 2

I also use the "4 finger method" from collar to print start.

I also believe in the "nipple theory" that states a print should not exceed much past the wearers nipples in width. LOL, but it's true...

• Like 1

This post is old, but when I started using the heat press myself, I had to get a TeeSquareIt.com Tee square for t-shirts. They also have a LogoIt, but from the same website as above.

Lou Robins is the owner, and has great tutorials too.

He sells the products direct or you can buy them from many screen printing supply stores like, www.PerformanceScreen.com

Hope this helps some of you. 

• Like 2

Im getting ready to do some of my first shirts.. just for family do you all wash the shirts first. I have but wanted to know if this was really needed,, Also can you put vinyl on canvas ? Like canvas Picture frames. Also thank you for all this great info it will help

Im getting ready to do some of my first shirts.. just for family do you all wash the shirts first. I have but wanted to know if this was really needed,, Also can you put vinyl on canvas ? Like canvas Picture frames. Also thank you for all this great info it will help

depends on the shirt and the color..... I normally don't except with the dark colors in the Gildan.... The Royal Blue and Black seem to work better when washed... I had a few that bled through using white siser... Not all of them did but as I order them I just take them home and run them through the wash

depends on the shirt and the color..... I normally don't except with the dark colors in the Gildan.... The Royal Blue and Black seem to work better when washed... I had a few that bled through using white siser... Not all of them did but as I order them I just take them home and run them through the wash

The Bleed thru can come when using 50/50 tshirts when polyester is heated to high it releases the dye from the fabric.