Sign in to follow this  
Bluecaka69

first big job need pricing info please

ok heres the scoop a martial arts school want me to install a 24 inch stripe 38 feet long of oracle 8510 etched glass vinyl

in the stripe we would have writing such as taekwondo judo hapkido and a few logos

also they want a sign done outside that will be 3x6 feet with just logo and school name in black done on plexiglass that connected to a sheet of white plywood

keep in mind production time and cleanup of old decals already on windows i put it into estmate with what i thought seemd right and came up wilth $1016 does that seem high or is it about right

Without knowing the specifics of the cleanup it is kind of hard to say. I know that for the 3x6 sign I would be at around $450 not including the install, the etched glass I would be at about $300 before install. My labor time is $65 per hour so I would think you would be about right with your price quote.

hmmm you guys must do this as your main living? id do that shit for like a few hundred dollars. but then again i dont need the money from vinyl work so any extra is just money in the pocket

Guest round2racing

Yeah, but when people who don't do this for a living or aren't trying to start a business undercut like that, it hurts those who are trying.

Yeah, but when people who don't do this for a living or aren't trying to start a business undercut like that, it hurts those who are trying.

+1

hmmm you guys must do this as your main living? id do that shit for like a few hundred dollars. but then again i dont need the money from vinyl work so any extra is just money in the pocket

No I dont do it for a living but im not going to do it for free either laying down 30 plus yards of vinyl will take some time plus the fact i have to design there logos and stuff the vinyl alone is almost 350 dollars so there is no way id do it for a few hundred dollars

Normally I do small decal for friends and family and I also have a concession stand at the race track were i do some racing decals

I would hate to undercut the shops around here just so I could make a quick buck. See how I see it is what comes around goes around

I have to chime in here! This whole pricing thing is getting way out of hand in my opinion.

If you want to work for nothing then why not go volunteer with a good charity organization?

All of you guys out there who are doing this work for $5 an hour or sometimes even less are just completely killing this industry! I understand that some people just do this for fun on the side and you have a regular full time job but you are killing all of us who are actually trying to make a living out here!

If you offer to do a job for hardly any profit at all for a customer then the next time that customer needs something done they will come to me and try and get me to do it for even less money than you did it for! While you guys get a weekly paycheck from your full time employer I am here busting my ass trying to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads for my Wife and 2 kids and you could care less because you have a "toy" to play with that can make stickers!

Get with the program people! Business is business and nobody will get anywhere just making a few dollars an hour!

How would you like it if your boss came to you tomorrow and said "Listen, I have a guy who can do your job for Less than half of what I am paying you now" How would you feel? What would you do? Would you just say "OK just cut my salary down to whatever the other guy is offering to do it for so I can keep my job"?

I doubt that you would, you would be fuming pissed off about it and you would go out and work for someone else where you could make a good living right? Well all of you guys are "That guy" to me!

Now, maybe you are thinking "OK well I am a Doctor or a Lawyer or whatever you are full time and you are just some stupid guy who makes signs. Right?

I spent 20+ years in the graphics industry and have been to many schools and have multiple degrees in Graphic Arts. I have busted my ass for all of those years keeping up with technology and learning all of the ins and outs of the business from when I started in the business when a customer got a mechanical paste up for a proof (To all you youngsters out there I actually mean we used paste and patsed the type and images to boards) all the way up to the present time and for what? So I can have people say "cant you do it for almost free"? I personally base my business on quality products and I stand behind everything that I make. It has earned me a very good reputation in my area.

I cant stand when someone calls me and says "Well I found a guy who will do it for half your price" or "I can get it on ebay for a lot less than what you want for it" It just disqusts me and it seems to be happening more and more every week!

Sorry for venting here but this subject is just driving me nuts!

Just my .02

• Like 1

I have to chime in here! This whole pricing thing is getting way out of hand in my opinion.

If you want to work for nothing then why not go volunteer with a good charity organization?

All of you guys out there who are doing this work for $5 an hour or sometimes even less are just completely killing this industry! I understand that some people just do this for fun on the side and you have a regular full time job but you are killing all of us who are actually trying to make a living out here!

If you offer to do a job for hardly any profit at all for a customer then the next time that customer needs something done they will come to me and try and get me to do it for even less money than you did it for! While you guys get a weekly paycheck from your full time employer I am here busting my ass trying to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads for my Wife and 2 kids and you could care less because you have a "toy" to play with that can make stickers!

Get with the program people! Business is business and nobody will get anywhere just making a few dollars an hour!

How would you like it if your boss came to you tomorrow and said "Listen, I have a guy who can do your job for Less than half of what I am paying you now" How would you feel? What would you do? Would you just say "OK just cut my salary down to whatever the other guy is offering to do it for so I can keep my job"?

I doubt that you would, you would be fuming pissed off about it and you would go out and work for someone else where you could make a good living right? Well all of you guys are "That guy" to me!

Now, maybe you are thinking "OK well I am a Doctor or a Lawyer or whatever you are full time and you are just some stupid guy who makes signs. Right?

I spent 20+ years in the graphics industry and have been to many schools and have multiple degrees in Graphic Arts. I have busted my ass for all of those years keeping up with technology and learning all of the ins and outs of the business from when I started in the business when a customer got a mechanical paste up for a proof (To all you youngsters out there I actually mean we used paste and patsed the type and images to boards) all the way up to the present time and for what? So I can have people say "cant you do it for almost free"? I personally base my business on quality products and I stand behind everything that I make. It has earned me a very good reputation in my area.

I cant stand when someone calls me and says "Well I found a guy who will do it for half your price" or "I can get it on ebay for a lot less than what you want for it" It just disqusts me and it seems to be happening more and more every week!

Sorry for venting here but this subject is just driving me nuts!

Just my .02

WOW Well Put  :thumbsup:

Guest round2racing

Thank you BayShore!!!

I work full time for a construction company, and yes I get a weekly paycheck.

Do I want to work here forever?  NO

Do I want to get my vinyl business up off the ground? YES

Pricing myself like that guy would guarantee that I could never open my own storefront.

If I set myself that low, how could I ever pay the expenses?

Just my .02 too.

I call my local sign shop and ask what they do for instance 3 lines text for a door and i go with thier price.$75.00 no install