Sign in to follow this  
stryker1

Vinyl Removal

Not sure if this is the correct area to post in, but I will give it a shot since I am not sure.  I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how to remove vinyl from a trailer.  The existing vinyl has been on the trailer for close to 6 years.  The person attempted to remove the vinyl graphics and was successful in large part to get the graphic off but not the adhesive.  The adhesive has now been sun baked for about a year.  I have tried 3m adhesive remover and that doesn't wrok that well.  Any suggestions?

You could try lacquer thinner, but try a small area first. 

It's possible that you will not be able to get it all off without sanding it.  If it is VERY baked on, you may just have to wet sand it with 600 grit or thereabouts and be careful not to go all the way through the paint.  You can then go progressively higher (1000 or so) and then wax it.  However, the areas you do will look considerably better than the rest of it..

I have on my own trailer used lacquer thinner to remove the glue ---BUT you need to be fast! Wipe on wipe off FAST!

It will start to eat a the coating as a mater fact I have cleaned the exterior of the trailer with lacquer  thinner and a ton of rags (not a good idea dangerous as he**)

The trailer I have is white baked  enamel on aluminum.

But if you need a real good product to remove any black streaks try StreakX.com real good stuff.

I used the streak X in place of the lacquer thinner to remove the black streaks.

Use you own judgment! Just my 2 cents!

CKR

maybe a heat gun, plastic scraper like a Chizler, just to soften it/break it up a bit?  then the lacquer thinner?  I agree with not letting the lacquer thinner stay on the surface too long. 

try one of the suppliers and get adhesive remover or vinyl off get all you can with a chiseler then use adhesive remover to remove the residue you still may end up with ghost letters where the paint has faded around where the vinyl was  Dan

Thanks.  I think that it is just going to be a long hard task, but I am sure that I will get it.  Thanks for all the suggestions

I think that it is just going to be a long hard task,

charge by the hour.  :thumbsup:

Yep! Don't do removal for free. Do at least $50/hr which is my shop rate now.

If they complain say "try it yourself", almost every time they will come back and pay lol