Sign in to follow this  
firemalt

Best way to lineup vinyl on a CE5000?

Well, I've run about 10 yards of vinyl through my CE5000 this morning, and still haven't figured out the best way to make it track endlessly.

The grooves help, and the roll claps help... but whats the secret to getting everything lined up, quickly?

BTW... this things cuts like a freaking dream. At first when I was doing a "test" cut, I was getting a little concerned cause the little square/triangle looked crappy. Then I noticed I had been jacking with the settings for the pen, not the blade. Once I figured that out, there wasn't any stopping me!

Glad I made the purchase, and wish I would of done it sooner... much sooner!

Guest fivestar

Use the grooves.......and make sure the roll is straight with the front of the vinyl.  Use the down arrow to feed some vinyl through and you'll catch right on.  At least that's the way I do it, I'm no expert with this cutter yet, but I did cut a 182" piece without it moving a fraction of an inch and that's the way I did it.  There might be an easier way.  Also on the measurements Roll 1 measures width plus starting point, Roll 2 measures only width and Sheet measures width plus length. 

Yeah... I like using the "Roll1" measurements cause it take it back to the edge of the vinyl. What I have been doing was pulling out about 2 feet of material past the blade, lining it up with one of the grooves, clamping it down, then adjusting the stops on the rolls, and finally pushing "enter" on the Roll1 to see if it's lined up... if not, do it all over again. urgh... but don't get me wrong, I love this new cutter! :o

I do it the same way by just pulling through a foot or so of vinyl when I'm lining it up on the grooves and then when I press enter I can see if I got it nice and straight or not.  Its like anything else, you'll get better at getting it fairly straight.  One thing that helped me is to only put out enough vinyl to the end of the grooves.  Then move the whole roll of vinyl on the back to line it up with the groove.  If you just push the vinyl up against the groove its not always coming off the roll very straight and tends to pull the tracking to one side.

I think I understand what you're saying, and I pretty much do the same thing.

I pull off a foot or two so it's not taught from the vinyl roll, line the vinyl up on a groove, clap it, hit enter and hope for the best, lol.

I understand it will get better/easier with time... I just wanted to make sure I was atleast doing it correctly.

Something else that has happened a few times is the little thumbs screws for the media/vinyl roll holder hit the edge of the cardboard roll, bump it off the rollers, and then the cutter goes ape-shiot and displays a "no media" mid cut. That's happened twice now.

I don't have a fancy Graphtec  :thumbsup: but with mine I line it up as best I can with the right edge visually. Then manually run the vinyl back and forth about 1 -2 feet at a time, Then release one roller while moving that side of the vinyl in or out a minute fraction. Keep doing it until you get it almost perfect. This will save you a ton of headache if you do it every time. I've ran 140" long cuts with less than 1/16" run out on the vinyl.

I think it was BannerJohn who put me onto doing i this way. After you do it it a while you won't even be thinking, do i move it in out or how much. It just become habit.

Keep in mind the edge of vinyl can have a not so perfect edge, that's why i try to run out at least a couple feet. On large stuff I will run the entire length out when I think i have it close to make sure it's going to track right.

Kevin

I think I understand what you're saying, and I pretty much do the same thing.

I pull off a foot or two so it's not taught from the vinyl roll, line the vinyl up on a groove, clap it, hit enter and hope for the best, lol.

I understand it will get better/easier with time... I just wanted to make sure I was atleast doing it correctly.

Something else that has happened a few times is the little thumbs screws for the media/vinyl roll holder hit the edge of the cardboard roll, bump it off the rollers, and then the cutter goes ape-shiot and displays a "no media" mid cut. That's happened twice now.

I had the same problem with the thumbscrews.  I assume there must be something I'm missing on setting them up properly, but they aren't in use currently on mine.  Also, the no media is just when the vinyl isn't close enough to the sensor hole on the back.  So, after you fix the problem you can just press enter and it will continue.

Kevin... that was the system I used from my pcut and refine, but the Graphtec has one arm/lever that you raise to lower all the pinch rollers at the same time. It's just a different machine, and I'm in the learning curve.

Guest fivestar

Kevin... that was the system I used from my pcut and refine, but the Graphtec has one arm/lever that you raise to lower all the pinch rollers at the same time. It's just a different machine, and I'm in the learning curve.

Ain't we all in that learning curve.  :o :o :huh: It's fun to learn something new about them though isn't it.  I've cut probably a thousand feet of vinyl through mine already and still haven't had a chance to learn any of the "fancy functions".  Oh well that only means I  haven't had time and am making $$$$$$ with it.  :);D ;D

I used mine for the first time yesterday, and it nearly halfway paid for itself!

Guest fivestar

I used mine for the first time yesterday, and it nearly halfway paid for itself!

Then you ripped Vette ( I think that's who bought your Refine) on that sale so that nearly paid the rest.  :o :o :huh: J/K She got a hellva deal.

Pull the material thru, a foot or so. I use 24" so I do line it up with the grooves. I also use 3" core ends in all my vinyl tubes and use these on the material rollers.

http://tinyurl.com/r4e577

I never used the set screw collars, never been a fan of that type collar.

Have fun,

Jon

Jon... that makes sense now, when you mentioned the 3" core end caps. I know I have a few laying around somewhere, I'll have to give that a try on Sunday.

Pull the material thru, a foot or so. I use 24" so I do line it up with the grooves. I also use 3" core ends in all my vinyl tubes and use these on the material rollers.

Have fun,

Jon

Can you get us a picture of that posted sometime?  Think I know what you mean, but would be nice to see your setup.

Have fun,

Jon

Can you get us a picture of that posted sometime?  Think I know what you mean, but would be nice to see your setup.

I will try this weekend.......

Same as above about a foot through and line up with the grooves. If I know its a long run I sometimes just adavnce it all the way to make sure it does not run off the end, I have had a bad roll already, and the just barly lift the pinch wheels and let it run back to the start of the roll. LOVE the GRAPHTEC!!!!!!!

I agree with you on loving it, Blue... I cut 50 decals on Friday for a fire station which would of normally taken me atleast an hour if not more to weed with my refine or pcut. I timed myself and it was a total for 12 minutes to weed all 50 decals! Now talk about be productive!!!

post-1656-12986536753369_thumb.jpg

post-1656-12986536762398_thumb.jpg

Here's another decal I'm doing tomorrow... this station ordered 100!  :thumbsup:

post-1656-12986536754013_thumb.jpg

post-1656-1298653676277_thumb.jpg

Guest stunad, jr.

I agree with you on loving it, Blue... I cut 50 decals on Friday for a fire station which would of normally taken me atleast an hour if not more to weed with my refine or pcut. I timed myself and it was a total for 12 minutes to weed all 50 decals! Now talk about be productive!!!

250 of these tops were cut on my pcut, weeding was pretty easy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIwKInRdwgc

And here is the collar in action. I knew I had the pic somwhere  :thumbsup:

Have fun,

Jon

post-2883-12986537061567_thumb.jpg

post-2883-1298653707561_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info Jon... prior to see the picture, I thought you were using the end caps to slide the roll of vinyl onto the metal roller. I guess I could get the stay effect if I just used a allen set screw versus the provided thumbs screws(which kept getting caught on the vinyl roll.

Thanks, Jon. I think coming up with a way to keep my rolls of vinyl from walking  is my biggest problem right now.  I thought someone said their cutter came with some kind of stops, but mine didn't.Sandy