Sign in to follow this  
BLKSUNSHINE

Could use some advise, as user error is my issue :(

Hi Guys/Gals, My names Kevin.. I recently purchased a Copam-2500 vinyl cutter and love it! I also purchased an "Inexpensive" Press to make some T-Shirts that I'm having some trouble with... (My problem is the glue seems to be pushing out the edges of the vinyl? (Although the vinyl is sticking well to the shirt itselt).

My Press:  Economy Large Flat Heat Press-15 x 15 inch

Vinyl: Siserweed T-Shirt Material

T-Shirt: (BLACK) "Heavy Weight 50/50

Where am I going wrong?

1.) Instructions say Temp © 190 for cotton T-shirts with a Time © 12 seconds

I pre-heat the shirt first.

I put the vinyl on the shirt

I press for the 12 seconds

I remove the top coating (plastic excess from vinyl)

I press again for 12 seconds

(I also had better results from bumping the recommended 190 to 205 © but the vinyl still seems to this (glue) sticky around the vinyl itself.. Again, the vinyl looks great and sticks to the T-Shirt, but the glue/sticky stuff is whats killing the shirt..

(Am I overheating the shirt? Not enough heat? not letting it cure correctly?)

I appreciate anyones help as I'm just frustrated going threw shirts and playing around with no avail.

Kevin

I have never had the issue you are having but I use siser easyweed material and I prepress the shirt for 5-8 seconds depending on how much moisture seems to be in the shirt when i press it, then my press is set to 302 degrees, and i press for for 15 seconds. peel the backing while its hot and its done. I'm not sure why you are pressing it for a second time, I only do that if I'm doing more than one color and if thats the case i press the first color for about 10 seconds, peel the backing apply the second color and press again for 15 sec. you may be cooking the shirt too long with the second press??

I have a mighty press so I'm not sure about your press.

Renee

Maybe too much pressure and or too much heat.  I would expect Siser to be heated at more like 150-155c

Sounds like too much pressure to me, or you are peeling it too hot and sliding the vinyl one way or the other while the glue is still liquid, leaving a visible edge.

Guest fivestar

I used to have the same problem when I had a "cheap" press but since I have gotten a Mighty Press I've never experienced that problem.  I never did figure out exactly what caused it.

Thanks for the advise everyone.. I'm going to play around with the pressure (haven't done that yet) as I think it may be a cause.. if not, back to the drawing board :o or buying a better press :o

Hi Guys/Gals, My names Kevin.. I recently purchased a Copam-2500 vinyl cutter and love it! I also purchased an "Inexpensive" Press to make some T-Shirts that I'm having some trouble with... (My problem is the glue seems to be pushing out the edges of the vinyl? (Although the vinyl is sticking well to the shirt itselt).

My Press:  Economy Large Flat Heat Press-15 x 15 inch

Vinyl: Siserweed T-Shirt Material

T-Shirt: (BLACK) "Heavy Weight 50/50

(I also had better results from bumping the recommended 190 to 205 © but the vinyl still seems to this (glue) sticky around the vinyl itself.. Again, the vinyl looks great and sticks to the T-Shirt, but the glue/sticky stuff is whats killing the shirt..

might be to much heat,  205 c is around 400f

I'm with FBR, too much heat. (althogh in the interest of full disclosure, I know very little about all this :o )

I've got the same setup (except I use Gildan ultra cotton), siser, and a "cheap" press.

I run it at 325F for 20 seconds. That'd be 162C

azdecals

One last question?

I'm using "BLACK" shirts.. Do I peel them hot? or do I let it cool before I peel the cover material off the siser material?

I notice that the vinyl itself is all wrinkled, not smooth?

Kevin

I hot peel, but either way should work.  If you are getting wrinkles in the vinyl then you have a problem.

if the vinyl is wrinkling its definetly too much heat. Also Siser is always a hot peel no matter what your putting it on

Renee

Thanks for everyones help! Thank you Levi again for all your support!

150© 20 (seconds) full pressure... (let the machine warm up 15-30 minutes) peel hot.

All of the shirts came out great! I'm just wearing one for about 2 weeks.. running them threw the washer and still staying to the shirt well!

Just want to leave feedback for anyone who may have the same issues.. and a thank you to all for helping a stranger "newbie" out :thumbsup:

kevin