Sign in to follow this  
mholewinski

Unwanted Scaling Issues

Has anyone had the problem with the vinyl's output size not matching up with the intended input dimensions?  I am using the Refine 1350MH and Flexi 7.5v.3.  I am positive that the sizing is correct in the Production Manager.  The vinyl grows approximately 3/8" widthwise and about an inch in length for a 4'x12' piece.

Also, towards the end of cutting a large graphic (not file size) something happens and the plotter miscuts.  Almost as if the blade is dragged.  This happens as if the information becomes jumbled as points are connected rather than a random squiggled line.  It's hard to explain.  I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem with either Flexi or the SignCut software.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

other than the fact that vinyl stretches, I don't have a clue. I use the same version of Flexi that you do, but I"ve never actually stretched something out (least of all a 12' piece) to measure it. Never had to be that precise.

As for the random cut,etcd.That will require some thought on my part.Never experienced that either.

Is the blade dragging when returning to the origin after the job is complete? Is the cutter grounded properly?

Hey

I had a similar problem with the input/output measures. It was only a mis calibration. Go to your software and check for the calibrate funcction. It will cut a square, then you measure it and put thje info in the program. This will calibrate the plotter and the software will "know" the sizes.

Joe

Thanks for that info.  It never really occured to me to re-calibrate the software.  And honestly, I've never had to do that before.  Also as far grounding the machine, I do have itgrounded to the stand but I am thinking of running some static control garland to the actual electrical ground.  If that is in fact the reason for the random cuts, I would think that should remedy the problem.  I will let everyone know in this post.  Thanks for the input!  ~Mike

I've been having the same scaling issues. On a 24" long piece, my vinyl will cut about 24.375". I'm using Flexi also... I've never had to do a calibration like this, but I'm going to try that and see if it helps. Does Flexi have such a function built in, or should I just do it manually and send every job at 98% or whatever?

As for the bad cuts, I've had that one too. I've found I can usually stop that from happening by tweaking settings in Flexi before cutting. Turn off "extras" like Advance After Plot, and check that your material length is set to something greater than the length of the piece you're cutting. If I'm cutting tons of text, it seems to help to weld and separate weld before cutting it. All of this is a little voodoo-like for my tastes, but in general I just try to keep the plotter's task as simple as possible.