Sign in to follow this  
sabrina99

How do you charge if you have to buy a new color?

Do you charge more if it an oddball color and you know you won't use the whole thing on the project your ordered it for?

Do you charge more if it an oddball color and you know you won't use the whole thing on the project your ordered it for?

Cost of doing business. :thumbsup: Charge for material that you use. Save the rest for the next customer.

$.02

Jon

If it's a rare color, and i'm using less than a yard, I'll ask someone on here or buy a yard from my supplier. My supplier sells 24" 651 by the yard for $5 a yard for 1-9yds. If it's more than a yard, then ditto to jon's post.

If it's a rare color, and i'm using less than a yard, I'll ask someone on here or buy a yard from my supplier. My supplier sells 24" 651 by the yard for $5 a yard for 1-9yds. If it's more than a yard, then ditto to jon's post.

hook us up? where you get it?

nfsupply.com

I'm not sure if they'll do it through their website or not. They're only about 20 mins from me so I get most of my vinyl there. Last time I checked, they're online store was getting updated or something.

It's your call, but if it is really an oddball I have no good prospects of using for something else --  I'll recover the full cost of the roll in the price of the job.  If I can buy just enough to do the job then my regular markup and labor costs go into the price.  If I have to buy larger quantity than needed for the job I charge for all the material  -  don't mark it up as much (maybe no markup if it's a lot) - do charge for my labor.  For repeats on that color, I will charge regular prices - including markup on materials - so we both come out better on the repeat orders.  

My son had some layered 3 color graphics for a bodyshop repair on a big truck - 2 of the colors were ultra metallic amethyst and azure blue the other was chrome - he quoted I think $150 for  4 numbers layered in those 3 colors.  I have yet to find any use for the rest of the 10 yard rolls, but he got his cost covered and a nice profit.

-Mike

Personally on the specialty vinyls I would still just charge my normal rates....I can always find ways to get rid of vinyl personally.

Guest fivestar

I did a job about a yr ago and charged $75.00 for two 8 inch dodge decals.  It was a special 3M vinyl and I told the car dealership I could do it but I had to buy a full 15" wide by 10 yrd roll because nobody sold it by the yrd and I wasn't getting stuck with the rest of the vinyl.  They said "It's an insurance job, we don't care".  :thumbsup::);D I almost felt bad charging $75.00 for two decals.

Same here, if it's an odd color, I just recoup the cost of the entire roll in the job.  I have never ordered a single yard of a color, and if I did, I would end up needing 2 yards.

i'll sell it all day long $5 yard

I agree, it is the cost of doing business. Not fun, but part of the game. I can get the cost back with one job usually.

Guest kenya

I just ordered a whole roll (10 yds) for 2 ft. needed.  :thumbsup:

Now I will push this color alittle harder on future customers.

In this business, you always need stock. And trust me, somebody will like that color.

Looks like 2 schools of thought on this one.  So be it!

-Mike

Thanks everyone!  I am real shy about charging people.  I am trying to get some pricing figured out.  :thumbsup:

here what vinyl i have been using and love it they also sell by the yard

http://www.hhsignsupply.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=42278&idcategory=371

It really depends, i just had to get special vinyl for a job and my pricing method came to be about double the vinyl roll so i made out good on that. On others i at least break even since colors i don't stock i normally don't use quickly so it has to be worth my while.