marcuso

Cardboard stock

Marcel has been dealing with this, so I will ask him to chime in when he gets back and give full details.  But someone sent in cardboard stock used for stencils that looks to me to be 1mm thick.  We tried it out in the refine cutter, and it seems that there is too much flex between the plastic in the carriage and the plastic blade holder for it to be effective at cleaning cutting this material.  On the other hand, the Copam was a champ.  Even with the 45 degree blade, it cut through cleanly (I would recommend a 60 degree blade).  The metal blade holder is top notch.  Just keep in mind that the copam only has one cutting strip, so you should use a backing material to avoid cutting up your the cutting strip and prematurely dulling up your blades.

- Marcus

I like the blade holder in the cp-2500 as well.It has more of a flatness than the mh721.I'll have to try the card stock on the copam.That could come in handy for a quick one time custom stencil cut for airbrushing.I can't believe how much quieter the cp-2500 is compared to the mh721.

I have been doing lots of google research and reading trying to find the right vinyl cutter what I am wanting to do. So when I saw this post I was thrilled and wanted to quiz you more. Besides wanting to cut vinyl I am also wanting to cut basic cardstock--such as the paper used with scrapbooking. When you say cardboard stock are you meaning cardstock? And if so how thick was it? I can't figure out the thickness of the cardstock I am curios about to ask directly about it (I don't know how to measure it. I can only find the weight or the way my printer refers to it 106-176 g/m2), but I am hoping that you can still help me. I am new to all of this excitement and I have been joyfully taking in all the information available on this forum. Oh, and when you mention using something behind the cardboard stock to keep it from dulling the blade and cutting up the strip. What would you use? Thanks is advance for helping me out.

DMarie

One of our customers was kind enough to send us a sample of oiled stencil board called Dispens-a-pak which is actually about 1/3 mm thick or 0.3 mm. It's kind of like posterboard that you would use for school projects but maybe slightly thicker. The copam manual specifies a cutting thickness of .05-0.30mm, and a minimum character size of 5mm. We did have good success cutting this with the copam plotter. I'll post a picture of the letter A we cut out which was one inch high. The actual cut is a lot cleaner looking than the picture indicates. With some settings adjustments and a pro touch from some of the people in this forum I'm sure this material would be reasonable to work with.

lettera.jpg

Hey,

Thanks for getting back to me. That really looks great!!! And thanks for the specifications on the Copam cutting ability. That really helps too. Another question...what would you use to back that so the cutting process wouldn't cut up the cutting strip or dull the blade? The reason I'm asking is because of the original posting.

DMarie

We don't have a lot of sign making accessories around here so we just used another piece of the cardstock as backing and it worked ok. I'm sure there are probably other materials you could use for a backing that would be more stable and not as thick.