Sign in to follow this  
Michael

Can it cut Acrylic Double sided foam attachment tape?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and am here for some how-to help.

I'm looking for a way to cut Acrylic Double sided foam attachment tape.

This type of take is normally used to attach trim to automobiles. The width of the tape is 2" and the thickness is about 1/16". Before cutting the shape, the tape would be cut to a longer length and backed with a peel-off backing paper.

I need to cut small rectangle shapes with the centers cut out so my finished piece would look like a little frame like pictured below.

Tape_Cutout_1.jpg

If the type of vinyl cutters you folks are using are inappropriate for this specific task, perhaps one of you may know of a type of cutter that will cut this material.

I thank you for any help in solving this problem.

It would probably work if the tape has backing paper on both sides, but you would only be able to cut through one side of backer paper and the tape more than likely.  Otherwise, you would destroy the cutting strip, or the cut pieces would fall out.

Also, I believe the tape would gum up the blade pretty quickly, so it may not work at all.

Something like this would be best suited for punching.  A local printer may be able to make you a punch out of flexible steel that would just chop them out.

Thanks for your reply.

You are right about the blade being gummed up quickly, if it would work at all. I cut the one in my photo by hand with an Exacto knife, and it's pretty sticky and time consuming.

I was hoping that there was a machine that would cut these because I priced punch dies and they cost about $200.00 each, and I would need dies for about 50 unique sizes.

I'm wondering if there is a computerized laser cutter that would cut this.

If anyone else knows of a possible solution, please let me know.

A plotter/cutter is not the best for this job with the material you are using.  Material to be cut is limited to .04 inch or thinner - and that's with the relatively light pressure sensitive adhesives - not the gummy stuff you are talking about.

I think die cutting is your best bet.  If the sizes are just different sized rectangles or simple shapes, it is possible to make your own and use one of the craft diecut machines to make the cuts.  Look at www.helmold.com to see what is involved.  Looks a little daunting to me, but for $200 a pop it might be a skill you could learn.  An alternative is to job out getting them punched in quantity lots - somebody here may have done that- I haven't.  Good luck. - Mike

Guest crshirts

May want to look at something that does die cutting I know there are a few machines on ebay.

Schools use one but I can't remember name Accucut I think.

Will do what you are looking for.

Carl