Sign in to follow this  
Guest YHC

Vinyl For Paint Masking ?

Guest YHC

Good Afternoon SMF,

I have my cutter on its way :) and I am wanting to know what type of vinyl I should be using for paint masking. I need something that will stick good so it doesn't bleed in and able to pull up with out leaving glue behind.

Right now I will be doing Radio Control bodies as well as experimenting on metal down the road. The R/C bodies will require small cuts so, I need something that can withstand that and give me good results.

Thank you in advance for your feed back

I have used cheapy vinyl for paint masking before with good results.

What is the difference between regular vinyl and spray mask?

Be cautious with the spray mask from Sign Warehouse. I use HOK paints and when I used some slow reducer t get a certain effect it reacted with the masking. The stuff started bubbling right before my eyes. If I keep it light and use the medium reducer I don't have this problem. Check for compatibility on a test piece first. I'm looking to get my hands on the Oracal 810s and give it whirl, expecting some samples any day. Only problem is it's pricey because it's a 50 yard roll only.

Guest YHC

Be cautious with the spray mask from Sign Warehouse. I use HOK paints and when I used some slow reducer t get a certain effect it reacted with the masking. The stuff started bubbling right before my eyes. If I keep it light and use the medium reducer I don't have this problem. Check for compatibility on a test piece first. I'm looking to get my hands on the Oracal 810s and give it whirl, expecting some samples any day. Only problem is it's pricey because it's a 50 yard roll only.

Thanks for the heads up :)

"Aslan" is a good paint mask, it's flexible,thin and suitable for curve surfaces.  The difference between vinyl and paint mask is that it sits better and doesn't let the paint bleed under the edges.  It also leaves no glue residue when it's removed. 

I use Avery white paint mask and it works like a charm. I also use it for removable lettering for windows that doesn't need to stay on long  :thumbsup:

I use MACTAC paintmask from hh sign supply http://www.hhsignsupply.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=20448&idcategory=365

here is some work I have done with it http://www.bodiesbyblue.com/gallery.htm

What trahsfer tape is recommended for vinyl like the MACTAC that is used for very curvy applications?

I'm in need of a mask to do some chemical etching on some curved beer glasses.  I'm using Oracal 651, but it doesn't conform well.  I'm thinking that even if I get the MACTAC vinyl, I will need some transfter tape that handles the curves also.