MikeRenz

Noob from Central PA

Well like others here, i bought a laserpoint 24 becuase doing my own lettering is cheaper than paying someone else.  I own a fabrication company that i am constantly doing CAD drawings to be cut on a waterjet - i realize now that i can use the lp24 to plot my drawing for "test cuts" rather than cut them on the waterjet...and save me lots of time/$  ;D

I bought mine via ebay sans stand.  So i'll be buying/making some sort of stand...if it turns out nice i'll share pictures.

I had some confusing times getting it to cut for the first time...kept on hitting the red kill buttons.  How are you supposed to set the home point on the LP24?  Do you manually slide the carriage to the far right before powering up the machine (this works, just seems archaic). 

Also, i'm currently in the testing various settings stage with my cutter - weeding isn't a quick job for my small stickers since the cuts aren't 100% connected everywhere.  Works flawlessly on any fonts, but vectorized graphics and imported .dxf's (these are frustrating...in CAD i know it's solid lines/arcs...but when SignBlazer imports them and tries to cut it sends the blade into a woodpecker style frenzy) just refuse to cooperate fully.

I'm about to try inkscape to see if thats beneficial.  Currently i have signblazer elements, photoshop, autocad2007, and good ole paint.  I've been using Paint to convert my images to monochrome bitmaps....since every method i've attempted to create monochrome from photoshop has resulted in the typical "not a monochrome" error message even though i know it is.  Anyone have a workaround for that in CS3?

my first sticker:

renzfabsticker.jpg

it got all boogered up since the woodpecker effect was in full affect.  ;D

and my first useable sticker, installed on my printer:

renzfabsticker2.jpg

In reading the forum...possible gasket cutting has peaked my interest as well.  I'm wondering what the thickest material is that anyone has attempted to cut w/ a laserpoint is.  anyone?

Welcome from SE PA! Some ppl use the cutter to score the pattern on thick stock, then cut the rest out. Sorry I am not to familiar with cutting gaskets. I've heard ppl do it for bike gaskets, but it just doesn't seem right to me...