Hello i was thinking about getting flexi starter or flexi pro, would they both be compatible with the MH-871

I wouldn't recommend FlexiSign Pro to anyone! Their program is extremely over priced and their auto-vectoring is aweful. The best auto-vectoring by far is; Adobe Illustrator CS3 or CS4, CorelDraw X3 or X4. If you want a low cost, versatile, and fun program to work out of, look for Vinyl Master Pro 2.95v. You can do everything in VMP 2.95v from color bitmap autovector,color seperation plotting, everything that FlexiSign Pro has and better. Check on eBay for any listings, you will be happy and not breaking your pockets for about $300. :thumbsup:

I lucked into a copy recently of FlexiSign Pro 8.1 from my cousin who got it with a used cutter he bought.  I have it installed currently, and at first didn't like it at all, much more complicated than sign blazer.  I will say though after spending some time with it and adjusting things....I can get a better cut using Flexi Sign Pro than I can with Sign Blazer, and it cuts faster too for whatever reason, doesn't slow down on the curvs as much as the sign blazer does.

I still like to design in Inkscape, but the text qualities for flexi are very good.  I do my major design in Inkscape but if I need to run like 10 copies with different names at the bottom, I use flexi to do that.  Good program!. 

That said, are their other programs out there that are cheaper that may drive a cutter just as well?  Yep I am sure there is.  SignCut is ok....never got the hang of their trail version either.  Flexi Starter is pretty cheap, and I bet it drives the cutter in the same way.  Part of the reason flexi pro is so expensive is I believe the production manager suite, basically it allows several computers to drive a single cutter, used in production environments to keep those cutters cutting as fast as they can, I am sure thats not included in the starter version.

Guest sciondrgn

I use a combo of Inkscape and Flexi Pro and works great for me  :thumbsup:

There are several programs out there with different advantage features. I like Cutting Master 2 which comes with all the Graphtec plotters. It allows you to cut directly out of Illustrator and Corel. The downside, poor weedlines and registration marks. When I check the weedline option, they cut through your text or no where near the text to weed. FlexiSign, poor vector...good design modules and excellent plot manager. Cutting Master 2, Vinyl Express LXi, Flexi,and UltraFlex are all the same program made by Scanvec Amiable. Each on has the same Production Manager.

Flexi is easy to design in, so as LXi sold by Signwarehouse. Vinyl Master Pro 2.95v is an excellent program as well, with a variety of option that supercede any of the expensive programs. However their tech support suck! You have CoCut Pro and SmartVector by Smartdesigns. EasySign has a very good application for sign creativity with a nice plot manager. I'm not a fan of SignCut or Signblazer, even though I like SignBlazer plot manager. But for my Graphtec FC8000, alot of programs do not have the driver for this plot. :thumbsup:

I started out with Flexi starter,and got the pro version about a year ago. I can't imagine using anything else. Yes, it is over-priced. But so are AI and Corel.  What Flexi can do is amazing but you have to learn how to take advantage of it. It is a powerful program and because of that, takes some time to learn.

That being said, Flexi Starter along with Free Inkscape will do about anything you need to do.

Remember this one - -I just got into the sign biz after having been a Motor carrier (trucking company) for 5 years, as well as having extensive experience in the machinist trade and as an engine builder.

So when I bought my new Graphtec cutter the guy made the stupid statetement to me that I "didn't NEED" Flexi Pro to do what I wanted to do - that Flexisign "Flexisign" would do everything for me."

This was THE biggest 'crock' that has ever been said to me!!!!  The lower level Flexisign programs Will NOT run a printer.....the do NOT have auto-registration marks capability (although they WILL allow you to insert them) and if you seriously think that there isn't a difference between a $2800 program and my $800 Flexi mid-level, I have a bridge for sale in New York!!!

THINK AHEAD AND CONSIDER THAT YOU MIGHT NEED THE AMENITIES OF THE BETTER SOFTWARE BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING.  You will NOT be sorry.  The extra dough you spend will be money in  the bank when you want to upgrade your business.

in all the years I've been in the sign biz, I've never inserted or used registration marks. If that's all you have to complain about,and you consider it worth $2000 to be able to auto-insert...by all means,spend the money.

However, to a newbee...$99 for an entry level program (Flexi-starter)....is a good investment. $2800 is a lot to spend for something you MIGHT need or MIGHT be able to learn. Just like buying an expensive cutter before you know if you're even going to be able to make any money with it.

The Flexi Starter version will teach you the basics. And that's what it is for. My version probably made me about $30,000 before I upgraded to pro.

Yes there is a BIG difference between Flexi Starter and Flexi Pro. Just like there is a BIG difference  between starting off small and on a budget and jumping in full blast with plenty of money to spend. I've gotten some really great deals on supplies and equipment from people who thought that spending big money would get them into the sign biz.

If anyone decides to spend $2800 to $4500 for FlexiSign or FlexiSign Pro, you may as well purchase Vinyl Express LXi Expert or Master Plus from Signwarehouse. It is the samething as FlexiSign and FlexiSign Pro...costing only about $500 to $700.