Sign in to follow this  
dohickey

Software

Hi everyone,

First time posting on the board thogh I have been reading for a while.

I bought a US Cutter Refine 24" plotter. I'm not crazy about the software that came with it and was wondering what is considered the best plotter software package.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry, I got SignBlazer06. The application seems capable, but I hate the interface (and a couple of issues) and was looking for alternatives.

I'm an IT pro and I would prefer a menu/selection system that was a lot more straight forward.

I also had some issues with it crashing just trying to navigate through directories because it could generate a thumbnail of certain EPS or AI files.

Thanks for replying!

I run a full-time sign shop. I have always used Flexi which everyone in the business I talk to says is the best. So far, I haven't found anything that I can't do just as well in Signblazer as I could in Flexi,or just as easily.

This is cutting software... I have tried about all of the apps available and I don't think you are going to find what you want. They all operate basically the same.

In short, you have good software. Give it some time. Take the time to get to know it.

Or you could spend $2000  or more,only to find out that they are all about the same,as far as interface.

In my opinion,SignBlazer is the best available for the money,or for any amount of money.

Thanks BannerJohn. That was the sort of opinion i was looking for. This is the only plotter app I have ever used.

Is there another skin available that could tone it down just a bit? I haven't looked for one yet.

No idea about the skins.

here's the deal. I do signs. I open SignBlazer, it allows me to set the size of the sign (say,2x6 feet). I design the sign within the work space...Cut it....couldn't be easier. For a sign person,that is. Depending on what you want to do with it, I really don't know what you want it to look like.

After using Flexi for so long, I thought SB was weird...but having spent some time with it,I find myself using it more than Flexi. Play with it,get used to it. It will grow on you.

I can honestly say that what you have is the best deal out there. Even the version of SB you have,if purchased separately, costs almost as much as you paid for the cutter with the software.

Thank Ken and God(Marcus) that you don't have ArtCut or Signcut.

Indeed, ArtCut is crud.

SignCut on the other hand is a great program, but it lacks the designing features which isn't a problem if you already utilize Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator. the SignCut guys have been hard at work and have just released yet another update that addresses some issues with the Refine series.

I will make it available on our download site shortly.

:)

My primary use is making stencils for glass etching. Additionally I'm making some stickers when somebody asks.

Like I mentioned, I was rather annoyed when SignBlazer crashed just trying to navigate directories. I looked at the SignCut website. That seems to be a little closer to what I was expecting. Open, cut.

If you are used to graphics programs such as Corel for design,Signcut would be ok for you. Signcut has no designing capabilities. No vectorizing capabilities. If you prefer doing all of that in another application,then using SignCut to do the actual cutting,then I would say go for it. Most of us in the Sign Biz prefer to do our design,layout,etc,and cut from the same program.

Come to that,I have been told that you can cut directly from Corel if you have the right plug-in but since I don't use Corel(big waste of money,that),I have no idea about that.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I think the type of application I was expecting/looking for is SignCut or something similar. It just plots the vector files.

The SignBlazer application has given me issues with just being able to navigate folders.

I have Illustrator CS2, Corel 12 and AutoCAD. I think I have enough vector power. I'll probably give signCut a try.