Sign in to follow this  
midwestgamecompany

need transfer tape help

HI,

I am printing graphics in single color vinyl.  I use both transferite from ebay, or oracal from here.  I have been doing a dry application using some transfer tape I bought from Ebay.  The tape seems to stick to the vinyl pretty good but when I try to transfer it does not stick to the surface I am transfering to very well.  The tape seems to not release from the vinyl very well. 

I am transfering the vinyl onto Cornhole Game Boards made from Cabinet Grade Plywood or MDF.  They are painted with a Semi or High Gloss Paint.

Would I be better off doing a wet transfer?

What type of Tape should I use for dry or wet transfers?

Is the vinyl I am using the right one for this job?

Thanks

Josh

I really cant answer your question without asking a few of my own. 

What is the brand of the transfer tape you have from ebay?

What type of vinyl are you using, if oracal what series like 631, 651, 751?  There is a huge difference between 631 and 751.

If the tape is not releasing from the vinyl very well I would install it dry, and then spray the outside of transfer tape let it soak threw and then try to remove the transfer tape, but I would not let it get wet under the vinyl.

I think that the problem is one of two things, either the transfer tape you got from ebay might be a bad roll, or a bad brand or it might also be the type of vinyl maybe but if your using oracal 651 or up it should be fine.  It might also just be a high tack transfer tape which means it is more sticky than a regular transfer tape.

I am not sure the brand of transfer tape.

I am using Oracal 651 and also shinerite vinyl from ebay

I have only tried dry install, and that is what is not working. 

What kind of transfer tape would you recommend. 

Thanks

if it doesn't say on the inside of the tube, it's probably some cheap off-brand. All of the good stuff has the name on the inside of the tube. I prefer Perfectear by Main Tape myself...it's the best I've ever tried. R Tape CONFORM is good too.

you can use R tape conform for wet or dry.  I only use R tape conform, or the R tape Clear.  If you are using the vinyl from eBay it may be a cheaper quality also, and that may be why you are having problems, if it happens with the oracal 651 though I am almost sure it is the transfer tape.  I only use oracal vinyl and at least 651, maybe some Avery once in a while.