Sign in to follow this  
Stoke

Banner Help

ok...possibly stupid question here.

I'm getting ready to attempt my first banner and in the process, the largest thing I have attempted size-wise.  I'm a little unsure of something that may be obvious but I don't want to waste a whole lot of vinyl if I can help it....  anyway....

The banner is 36" X 60" and will have 2 colors.  Its basically an outline of North and South Carolina (in black) with an image of a car inside (also in black) and three lines of red text.  Two of these lines of text interact with the states outline - above and below the car.  The third line is below the outline and shouldn't present a problem.

Anyway, my main question is, can the layering be done on the banner itself or am I gonna have to do it on the application tape like I would a much smaller image?  If i put the 1st layer down wet, once its completely dry, can i do the second layer without the tape pulling on the 1st layer?  I done plenty of small multicolored window stickers but nothing anywhere near this large. 

Again, it may be obvious once I do it but I'd like to have a bit of an idea of what may happen before I start.  Thanks in advance for the expert help you guys always willing to share.

yes you can, it wont pull the first vinyl up.

good luck its ez show pics when your done.

For multi color on banners, we always apply it on the banner itself.

I agree please share a pic when you finish.

As Joe and Jenny have both said... just apply each layer directly onto the banner, one at a time... and I would highly suggest using the "wet method".

I must have started "too wet"....  after cleaning the banner and getting everything read, i put the first part down.  I got it placed where I wanted it and started squeegy-ing....  I thought I had it pretty dry and even left it sitting a couple hours.  I came back and everything jsut peeled right up....nothing stuck.

Oh well, I'll re-clean and try again with less liquid this time...

Will you please explain the difference  between the first and second attempt at placing the vinyl on the banner ? I have trouble with the wet application method. Thank you.

Terry

Sometime back I had read a thread about the various recipes for application fluid.  What I mixed up apparently was way short on the alcohol and was basically water with a squirt of soap.  When I wet everything down and placed the letters, there was too much water and it would never dry.  2 hours later it was still wet and and the letters just peeled right back up - nothing would stick.

I peeled everything back off, dried the banner material completely and then cleaned it off with denatured alcohol.  This time I mixed up a new batch of fluid using 3 cups water, 1/2 cup alcohol and the small squirt of soap. 

For the second attempt, I didnt spray.  We placed the letters, got them positioned, squeegy-ed eveything out, and within minutes peeled the tape off.  This time everything stuck just like it was supposed to.

I peeled everything back off, dried the banner material completely and then cleaned it off with denatured alcohol.  This time I mixed up a new batch of fluid using 3 cups water, 1/2 cup alcohol and the small squirt of soap.

For the second attempt, I didnt spray.  We placed the letters, got them positioned, squeegy-ed eveything out, and within minutes peeled the tape off.  This time everything stuck just like it was supposed to.

Second time you didn't spray? Please elaborate. Did you use a light mist of the app fluid and no spray of the app tape?  Did you apply dry? I know I sound obtuse but I need to get slapped up side the head with the answers to this problem.

Oh sorry....brain cramp there.  I meant to say "I didnt spray as much as the first time"......  just forgot to finish the sentence for some reason.....  ;D

I lightly sprayed the area on the banner and very very lightly sprayed the vinyl....