Sign in to follow this  
katie

HELP

Does anyone have the problem of the machine "forgetting" to pick up the blade when it should? Sometimes it drags the blade right through a bunch of letters it just cut! It wastes sooo much vinyl. HELP! I dont think this machine has cut one job PERFECT yet. There is always an unfinished letter, or a letter cut in half, or it just stops right in the middle of the job. Or with certain fonts (cursive) the machine cuts into the next letter where really it should just overlap. All of This is upsetting.

When the blade drags it could be a number of things. The carriage arm is controlled magnetically, so you need to make sure you have the cutter grounded properly. Also make sure you are not feeding the material from a tight roll, and loosen the material up before feeding into the cutter. Could also be a probelm with carpeted areas, or hot and humid areas. Worst case scenario, it could be a hardware issue. You want to check the others first.

Guest fivestar

Katie as Ken said it sounds like a static problem to me.  As for the cursive fonts, you have to convert your font to curves or outlines and then weld them.  That is the case with any cutter, not just a US Cutter.  If you view your text in outline you will see what I am talking about.

Katie,  it also helps us to know what programs you are using to design and cut and which cutter you have.

Two Things, first, what is this static problem people speak of, and how is it remidied. Second, I bought a keyspan serial adapter and my cut throughs went away. The cutter stopped cutting the top line of the weeding box, but didn't cut through my letters anymore. It was worth the $26 i paid on e-bay.

Good Luck

The static issue is static electricity, which comes from carpeted areas, tight vinyl rolls, and a number of other things. It affects the carriage arms ability to lift up when it needs to. The arm is controlled magnetically, so the static electricity gives the arm fits.

I have also heard cases where a hot and humid surrounding has caused issues with the knife dragging.

Static issue is remidied by hampering the static electricity around the cutter. The Refine series even comes with a ground wire that connects to the bottom of the cutter and the stand. Many customer do not even bother to put the ground wire on, then wonder why they are having issues. It was included in the box for a reason: to keep the static away from the cutter, and more specifically, the carriage. Worst case scenario with the blade drag issue, a hardware failure, but we need to troubleshoot the other possiblities before we start replacing parts, because if we do not solve the static, the replacement part will do nothing to help, and we are back to square one.

:)

Ken,

Thanks for the help. I'll explain my situation and maybe you can help me change the outcome. My plotter is on a plotter stand (it did not come with the plotter, but it is a plotter stand). My husband is going to tighten the screws tonight to make sure that it is stable. As for the carpet, I cannot do anything about that. Untightening the rolls does help, I forget to do that sometimes. When I clicked into cutter and then setup and changed cutter movement to fastest path, it seemed to help. It printed 6 jobs perfectly, and then went back to exactly before. Dragging the blade accross the page when it is supposed to be picking it up, or not finishing characters. Bummer. Hope its not a hardware thing. I can't afford the shipping on this beast.  :)

If it is a hardware issue, you would only have to ship us the defective part, not the whole cutter. The fact that your cutter is only doing it sometimes, leads me to believe that it is not a part though.