Sign in to follow this  
stuffnthingz

I finally did some cutting worth posting about!

Well, I bought my LP24 last fall. I made some decals, took them to a couple of shows and made $60. Then I spent the winter figuring out the software and the cutter. Last weekend I went to a new "event"  I have not attended before as a vendor and to get more interesting product for them to buy I cut out a whole bunch of 1" phrases in white and navy flock. I already had some nice silhouettes cutout, but I thought the phrases might be a hit with this bunch. Oh my goodness! It was a feeding frenzy. I made enough to pay for the cutter AND all of the vinyl I have purchased for testing etc. It was great. I was able to heat press a hoody on site in 15 seconds! I sold 20 hoodies in a day and a half, not including all the other products I sell. I was sooo tired sunday night. It was a very good tired.

flock_foil_barrels.jpg

So this weekend I had a minor setback. While preparing flock vinyl for the next eventI tried to do the same thing, but alas my cutter kept stalling out mid cut... constantly. So, by sunday night I was pulling my hair out and I read up on this issue on the boards. I use a USB port on my laptop so I wanted to try the easier fix first, I made my poor (commercial electrician) husband, ground my cutter to the outlet. What a difference! Where I could not get through more than 2 cuts of a design if I was lucky (very small like 4 x 13") I was able to tackle my next big chore, my business BANNER! Last fall I had picked up the 2' x 6' blank gussetted banner (at USCutter of course), and just today I put in a Will Call order for more flock and thought to snag some black for the banner. I picked it up in the afternoon, got home by 5pm, setup the LP to cut out the HUGE graphics (huge by my standards anyways). My LP finished the 2 color job in like 5 minutes total. Since I've never tackled anything large, I watched a video on sign making and went to work. I see lots of flaws for my first job, I tore the vinyl a tiny bit in a couple of places, there are still some air bubbles, etc, but the deed is done! Now I get to have a sign up in the arena like the big time sponsors:)

I have one more cutter success story. Last week when I presented a client his design for 50 t-shirts, I had cutout the design in white vinyl as a sample and he liked it so well, I am making him 4 navy hoodies in addition to the 50 T-shirts (I am not cutting those, they will be plastisol transfers). Had I not had the cutter to make up the sample, I would not have had the opportunity to upsell $80 more product for him to buy.

rs_vinylsign.jpg

Thank you all who post in this forum and to US Cutter for all the help. I am sure there will be many more bumps in the road and tons more to learn, but it sure is a fun ride along the way.

Guest kenya

Wow, you've got it going now....... congrats !

Great work.  :thumbsup:

Congrats on your success! Persistance does pay off! I noticed you said you were having cutter issues so you came HERE for a resolution...KUDOS to you, and this shows that this board is the bomb ( as my kids would say!) LOL!

Renee

I have to give another quick update. Yes Virginia, over the weekend with my problems of the cutter sitting at "waiting" mid cut, I came to these forums. I read all the "resolutions" for my problem. I picked the easiest (for me) to implement, which was to ground to remove static and I have been madly cutting ever since. I have not had a single failed cut since grounding my unit. I had my doubts, but I am a believer! I read some posts where the customer wants to return their unit and Ken says sure we will give you a new one but typically that problem will persist as it is not a faulty unit. He is soooo right. Cut on!

I was sent an email asking some details about my vending arrangement and I thought they might be helpful for others.

I get my flock from various sources because certain brands have colors I need. I buy "decoflock" in pink and brown from an online store, and now I get white and navy from UScutter, they are local to me so I can pick it up:) The Siser Splitflock from USCutter is priced well, and I save on shipping fees by using will call.

I press the flock using a 15" press. I bought the press for travelling as it is light. I started with a 9 x 12 but it was too small, it made me a mint, but I had to give it up for something bigger. I find the 15" is perfect. quick to layout a T-shirt or Sweatshirt.

Thank you for all this information.  It is especially helpful to someone new (me).

What brand of press are you using?

Nice work. What kind of cutter are you using and how did you do the shirts, did you use some kind of heat-transfer vinyl?