kenimes

Do not post copyrighted material

Just to review the forum rules:

1. Do not post graphics unless it is your own work or you are 100% sure it is freeware. If you are unsure please post a web link to the graphics instead of the file.

2. No explicit language or material will be tolerated; let?s keep this appropriate for all audiences!

3. When creating new posts please make the subject line relevant to the topic of the post. For example do not make the subject ?Help me please!? but instead be more specific like ?How do I import graphics to Signcut??

4. Joking, sarcasm, etc must be in good taste and is just fine; but hostility and personal attacks on other members or our company and products will not be tolerated.

5. We reserve the right to move, rename, or delete posts deemed inappropriate.

6. If you see a post you think is inappropriate please report it to us or one of the moderators of the forum.

7. Last but certainly not least, THANK YOU for joining and contributing to the US Cutter forum!

So, if you are not 100% certain that it is a freeware file, DO NOT POST IT.

Thank you,

Ken

:thumbsup:

Is copyrighted even a word? Should it be copywritten?

Mondays, blah...

Yep, not only is it a word - it is the correct word. A copyright guarantees the Right to limit Copying of ones material (idea, design, etc).

Charlie

So how do you know if something is or is not copyrighted?

I'm looking to do team and auto logos- are they copyrighted? Any ideas?

best answer would be yes,they are. In fact,the law assumes that everything is copyrighted as soon as it is created.You don't even have to apply for a copyright..just be able to prove that the material was created by you.

Basically you can assume all auto or company logos are copyrighted/trademarked. If you have a good reason you can ask the appropriate person for permission, in writing, if you can cut their logo.

directly from the US GOvernment Copyright website:

When is my work protected?

Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?

No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#protect

will answer all of your questions.

It is amazing to me that just a word is able to be copyrighted. I looked up the word Bayshore and it is copyrighted by a company that uses the word on printed garments. So what this means is that if I was to put just the word Bayshore on a t shirt I could be sued by this company?

Scary if you think about it...

I remember a while back I was selling decals that said Got this or Got that and one of the ones I was selling was "Got Bling" and I was contacted by the owner of the "Phrase" and asked to take it down or sign a sales agreement with them to share profits. I never even sold one that said that on it so I declined and took down that item but I was just amazed that you can copyright a word or two.

Now that brings me to another question... Look up your first name on that search! I bet it is copyrighted by someone. So lets say the name Jeff is copyrighted and owned by someone, how do personalized items get by with putting that name on things and selling them?

I don't think the name is copyrighted. More than likely it is the way it is presented.

Charlie

actually the phrase Wall Words is a copyright ..  I was reading something about an EBAYER was asked to take it down in her listings, ,  she was advertising wall words. Because there is a vinyl company  called Wallwords.com  Maybe those names have a certain font that makes it a copyright,,  

how about cartoon characters? How is that figured. If i do my own drawing of a known character?

• Like 1

the safe answer is yes ... altering someone else's stuff does not make it yours according to the law .

Ok heres a copyright question, or questions:

If i am a PHOTOGRAPHER, and I take pictures of a TRUCK or Motorcycle against a sunset...that Picture is Mine, my copyright... even tho the truck or motorcycle in the pic is already copyrighted?

Now landscapes... someone goes out to the Mt Rushmore and takes a pic...nobody really can claim ownership to that, but the person that took the picture can claim it is theirs..and sell it.

But if someone else goes to Mt. Rushmore and takes almost the same dam picture, well now u have two photographers with the same picture saying it is theirs....

Another scenario....a Photographer thinks because He/She took the picture it belongs to them and they have the copyright..

That photographer gets hired by a man to take pics of his wedding.....now the photographer says the pics are his and not the guy who paid him to take the pics....and wants to charge more for more copies of the pics.

But the law clearly states that if you are "hired" then the work you do for your boss is not yours...

Comics, like Marvel, they HIRE artist to draw.... but Marvel owns all the rights...

Studios and film companies HIRE camera men (photographers) to film and take pics of their MOVIE, and they retain the copyrights, not the camera men (photographers).

if u want to get technical...anything and everything is copyright and we cant do anything...

we cant eve draw a picture of a truck because the truck company owns it... 

you cant take a picture of a harley davidson motorcycle because its owned by Harley.

you cant take a picture or draw a coca cola bottle, its owned by coke.

the list goes on and on..

you cant even draw a picture of a cup, because that cup may resemble a cup thats copyrighted.

if u take a picture of someone wearing any clothes, from tommy hilfiger to wrangler jeans, all those are copyrighted....the logos and everything...

where does the line stop?

Ok heres a copyright question, or questions:

If i am a PHOTOGRAPHER, and I take pictures of a TRUCK or Motorcycle against a sunset...that Picture is Mine, my copyright... even tho the truck or motorcycle in the pic is already copyrighted?No, You  still need permission form manufacturer if going to be used in a commercial manner.

Now landscapes... someone goes out to the Mt Rushmore and takes a pic...nobody really can claim ownership to that, but the person that took the picture can claim it is theirs..and sell it.

But if someone else goes to Mt. Rushmore and takes almost the same dam picture, well now u have two photographers with the same picture saying it is theirs....​Each Picture is going to be different, If you copy something that was prosperous for the original photographer and make money off it claiming to be theirs, similar, etc you are pushing the envelope.

Another scenario....a Photographer thinks because He/She took the picture it belongs to them and they have the copyright..

That photographer gets hired by a man to take pics of his wedding.....now the photographer says the pics are his and not the guy who paid him to take the pics....and wants to charge more for more copies of the pics.

But the law clearly states that if you are "hired" then the work you do for your boss is not yours...Nope, you are contracted to deliver finished copies, way different than being a hired employee. 

Comics, like Marvel, they HIRE artist to draw.... but Marvel owns all the rights...

Studios and film companies HIRE camera men (photographers) to film and take pics of their MOVIE, and they retain the copyrights, not the camera men (photographers).Contracts, model release forms. Etc. All depends on what was written up and what was in the purchase and release contract. Most wedding photos cannot be copied in any way by the purchaser without breaching the contract. 

if u want to get technical...anything and everything is copyright and we cant do anything...

we cant eve draw a picture of a truck because the truck company owns it... 

you cant take a picture of a harley davidson motorcycle because its owned by Harley.

you cant take a picture or draw a coca cola bottle, its owned by coke.

the list goes on and on..

you cant even draw a picture of a cup, because that cup may resemble a cup thats copyrighted. Watch any reality tv and see how much is blurred out. You see very few logos and brands unless they are endorsing the show. This is all done for a reason and many brands do not want to be associated with certain things they have no control over. Be it reality tv or how you choose to reproduce their logo and stick it somewhere. 

if u take a picture of someone wearing any clothes, from tommy hilfiger to wrangler jeans, all those are copyrighted....the logos and everything...

where does the line stop?Hopefully with you ;-)

Create your own. Buy rights to art. Hire a designer. In all use good judgement. It takes time to figure out what you can and cant do but really what is creative about copying everything else that is already out there? Stand out. Create and offer something different. Why sell a calvin pissing decal for 2 bucks when you can sell you own original drawing and creation for 45?

I have almost 10 years experience as a director of marketing with a very large international cosmetic company and they were very adamant about where, who had it and how their logo was used. Even a mention without consent either good or bad caused a serious investigation into its source and all efforts to squash it.

Hello! I have a quick (maybe dumb) question. I received an order on my website to do a Marilyn Monroe quote for someones wall I drew up a design and I want to know which parts of this (if any) could get me into trouble with copyright issues. 

Also I looked into getting licensing for Marilyn Monroe items and I cannot find a credible site to look up and find who to contact about purchasing a licence 

post-34215-0-46117900-1365373760_thumb.p

Edited by LLaurence
  • Like 1

Said Marilyn Monroe, “I knew I belonged to the Public and to the world, not because I was talented or even beautiful but because I had never belonged to anything or anyone else.”

Sounds like she declared herself to be public domain..lol free for anyone to enjoy...pardon the pun

Thanks for the answer!. For future reference- Is there one website that all copyrighted material owner info can be found?

Yea my wedding. We bought a very good camera, and knew someone in the family who used to be a photographer. She took the pictures and did the touchups. all for free. well we did help her for it tho.

But we said to hell with paying for copys of our own wedding. 

like everyone says, just about everything has some type of copyright on it, we cant do much about it, but be careful. we know the obvious ones, 

i can understand if someone is making a crap load of money from cutting harley logos, but 1 or 2 for a friend shouldnt hurt. but hey i dont make the rules.

if i stick my butt on a scanner and make a copy, can i copyright that    so noone else can scan there butt! lol 

if i stick my butt on a scanner and make a copy, can i copyright that    so noone else can scan there butt! lol 

You can't copyright ideas (that's what patents are for) and I'm sad to say there is enough "prior art" on butt pictures that you would have a hard time convincing anyone that it was an original invention.

You could, however, copyright the image of your butt and no one else could then commercially exploit the picture of your butt...

Okay. I have a question again. I just received an order to make a windshield decal with the word Honda on it. Is that name copyrighted or is it just their font and logo?

ps. I tried calling the copyright office and was on hold for no joke an hour. and then the phone hung up

The name would be trademarked for sure but not sure about copyrighted.