Sign in to follow this  
daenterpri

Cutter goes crazy with Cursive or Jagged Fonts

Hello,

Every time I do a decal with cursive, or similar font, my cutter starts out fine, then makes weird noises, and then just takes off down the roll of vinyl putting a huge cut through the middle. Any idea what this might be? For regular fonts and somewhat normal designs, it does just fine.

Andy

Not sure about the running wild down the vinyl part, but check your cursive text in a wireframe view to see the outline of each letter.  I found I needed to weld the letters together - otherwise there were extra cuts where the letters "overlapped".  If this is happening on the text you are trying to cut the extra movement as it cuts completely around each letter does make a lot of extra noise.

Hope this is helpful

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mars!

I understand what you are talking about and thankfully already figured that out after some trial and erros. The problem I'm having though is much worse. The plotter actually stops following the outlines and starts unrolling all the vinyl, cutting back and forth across it (which gets expensive really quick). Its definitely a bug. I talked to USCutter and they think its either a software issue, or that the plotter's memory has a flaw.

Thanks for the help,

Andy

No prob. - hope you get a quick and satisfactory resolution.

Mike

Did you get any answers to your problem with your cutter going nuts>? I have the same problem and have tried another laptop using winxp and that same problem on it too. I am getting really mad about all the vinyl I have wasted too.

About a month ago, I bought the Copam 2500 with Signblazer trial, and running on laptop with usb cable, xp operating system. Mine is doing same. When cutting an array of small graphics, the cutter will start and then go crazy and cut a diagonal across the vinyl. I have wasted a lot of vinyl and time trial and error.  I have tried creating vector graphics in Inkscape, and in Signblazer, tried all kinds of setup changes, etc. I now have a new motherboard on order as advised by Ken Imes will change it out and advise. I have also grounded the unit with a wire.

If i can't get production going on the small graphics in quantity, the machine is no good to me. Hope this works. I have a lot of work on delay.  :thumbsup:

I changed the motherboard out and still have the problem. Contacting Ken Imes again.

I changed the motherboard out and still have the problem. Contacting Ken Imes again.

So, have you tried another computer, preferably a desktop using the 25-pin Parallel connection?

I do not think the Copam comes with a Serial cable, but if you have one, you could try it as well.

I'm using parallel cable with my Copam CP-2500.  Works fine.

-Mike

-Mike

Are you using Signblazer Elements? can you cut multiple small array graphics (like 40 1" x 3/4" graphics) without the copam cutting diagonal line and hanging up?

Thanks

Never had Signblazer Elements before -- downloaded it and installed on my cutting computer (win2k machine)

Loaded an .eps sized it to 1" - it's a circle shape with figure inside.  Using a narrow piece of scrap vinyl only wide enough for 3 copies across I ran 18 copies off - cut perfectly - no stray cuts - I am going to play with this software some more.  Thanks for motivating me to install it and try it out.

-Mike

BTW should I install the update as well?  Does everybody just run it in trial mode?  What's not available to use in trial mode?

I'm going to wander over to the signblazer neighborhood and hang out for a while maybe the answers are already over there.

Sounds like you are having better luck than me. Signblazer is a likable program. You can only run in trial mode. Update not necessary if you are having success. Everything works in trial, and that is the only version available.

Ken with US Cutter thinks my problem might be because of my using usb to usb. My laptop only has usb. Before i go and buy a desktop, I wanted see if this is really the problem.

If you get a chance to cut say, 5 sets of 9 arrays (setup array 3 columns x 3 rows) of a 1" x 1/2" graphic, and on cut screen setup to 5 copies of the array,  i would appreciate your input.

I also like the copam 2500 if i can eliminate the diagonal cut.

The graphic I used is one I got from the adult section of the forum.

So you can identify which one the figure represented in the circle with the diagonal line across his chest could have been christened Richard Edward - but they call him Dick Ed for short.

Anyway I edited the graphic to remove the stripes from his tie - too small to weed at the reduced size I am going for.

Duplicated the graphic into a 3x3 array of 9 copies of the image - grouped it and sent it to the cutter.  Sized the array to fit 2 across on the scrap vinyl measured 53.47mm measures 2.11 inch wide 2.29 tall so individual graphics are about .7 inch circles.  Sent it to cutter and increased copies to 6 so it showed 2 grids across and 3 grids deep on vinyl.  That made 54 copies of the graphic.  It cut fine.  I had the weed all box checked so it cut the complete first graphic, then cut the weed border around the complete target for the whole job and came back and did the rest of the copies -- no stray motions or cuts.  This only shows that signblazer works with my already functioning computer/cutter setup.  Enough others have had issues with USB to make me stick to parallel connection myself.

Unless you have to have a laptop for portability you might do what a lot of us do and get an older desktop computer just for your cutter.

I'm liking this software - there is a lot thats different from inkscape - but the node editing seems much easier and most of the commands will probably come very naturally when I get a little time in using it.

I wasn't around while Jerry was alive, but have read the thread about his passing and after using his software I feel a little of the connection I'm sure everyone who knew him felt.

-Mike

OK and thanks much. Looks like it is probably the laptop usb usb. I will try a desktop. I have found that i can create and edit vectors in Signblazer easier than inkscape also.  :thumbsup: I really like Signblazer. If someone brings the company back from bankruptcy, and updates the software, I think i would pay for the upgrade.

The only crashes i have had with it are as mentioned, and if you try to modify the toolbar sometimes it will crash.

Thanks again for the help! Advise if i can help you.

Yes. It definitely was the usb to usb. I have a laptop with parallel printer port, am using it, and now everything works 100%. I have read that some also have used a usb serial adaptor and corrected the problem.

Thats good new! Thanks! Now I just Need a computer with a serial port or adapter cord.

Serial would probably be ok if you get the choice go with parallel printer cable and set up on lpt1

-Mike

We are having the same issue with our Copam using SignCut software. I am not sure if our Mac has Serial or Parallel ports but will have to check and see if that solves our issue as well.

MY COPAM PAM IS DOING SAME THING AS I AM CUTTING THE CUTTER CUTS OK FOR A WHILE AND THE JUST STARTS GOING UP A ANGLE FOR USUALLY FEW INCHES BAACK UP AGAIN ETC. ANY INFO? ;D

-Mike

Are you using Signblazer Elements? can you cut multiple small array graphics (like 40 1" x 3/4" graphics) without the copam cutting diagonal line and hanging up?

Thanks

I do it all the time, just pause the cutter and let it get the download from computer a little bit further into your run and it will do just fine