Sign in to follow this  
screenline909

SignBlazer crashes on import preview

I just installed, reg, and authenticated the full version of SignBlazer  Elements 6.0.15 that came with a P-Cut plotter.  I'm accustomed to Illustrator, and all of my files are in .ai format. If I Import and browse a folder with existing files, the thumbnails appear for .jpg, 'no preview' for .ai and .eps files, then the program crashes.  I created a new folder with a simple geometric design saved in both .ai and .eps - sometimes the .ai file thumbnail is solid black, usually error message "Mermory Fault EPS Import".

I had similar results when testing the downloaded DEMO version on different PC.

- if 'no preview' is checked, then no crash

- preview limited to files < .5 MB still crashes (thumbnail = file size?)

Truthfully, I have no interest in creating graphics in SignBlazer, I just need to import vector art from Illustrator.

If anyone knows of stripped down software that simply preview/layout/cut - even better

- any suggestions/experience with this issue would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello There,

It sure sounds as if you have got into a pickle.

Here is the simple solution to your problem.

When you have designed your graphics in illustrator then create outlines of text.

Ensure that text has a min height of 100mm or 4 inches.,

Then cut and paste into SignBlazer.

No import, no export. Fast & Simple.

Select in SignBlazer and resize to the height you need to cut.

Known problems with Illustrator.

For some reason no one has been able to tell me when you cut and paste small text from Illustrator to another application the text is rubbish (up to 80% of nodes vanish).  So I have found by experiment that if the smallest letter is 100mm or 4 inches in Illustrator then when pasted into SignBlazer (or any other applications) no nodes are lost.

Here are some helpful hints with Illustrator when creating files for vinyl cutting.

a. Only closed shapes.

b. Create all text as outlines.

c. Centre inside and in the workspace of Illustrator.  (another quirk of Illustrator, this always give faultless copying).

d. Only solid colors.

e. Always work in RGB not CMYK for vinyl cutting.

f. Bitmaps will copy and paste provided they are RGB.

g. Sometimes you have to group objects when you copy and paste.

If you intend to export files for SignBlazer from Illustrator CS, CS2 or CS3 then follow these rules above and add the following.

a. If simple straightforward file then export as Illustrator 8.

b. If there is a problem with any entities produced in CS3 export the file as Illustrator 3.

Crashing of SB when accessing Illustrator CS, CS2 and CS3 files.

We are in the middle of bringing our PostScript Interpreter up to CS3 level.

This has taken us four years of coding so far and there is another few months of work to go yet.

SignBlazer will then be able to import native Level 3 PostScript Files.

So when SignBlazer encounters an EPS or AI file that can cause instability then it marks that file ?do not read?.  Next time you access the folder the file will not longer cause instability in SignBlazer.

If you have files which you need translated into SignBlazer files then email them to

import@signblazer.net

They are sent back within one working day.

All the best

Jerry from SignBlazer.