Sign in to follow this  
graphikta

applying vinyl to banners help

i guess i need some industry standard advice here...

i did my first 2 banners the other night and i noticed a lot of little air bubbles, no matter what way i tried applying the vinyl. the way i found best worked was to actually use my fingertips instead of a squeegee. that worked ok for the most part, but still wasn't perfect. now, my finger tips are slightly burned and i still have the problem of the air bubbles.

is there a special way to apply vinyl to banners, a special tool or something? i just don't have enough experience to know what i am doing wrong yet - so i thought i'd ask some pros.

i have a lot of "industry standard" questions, but i guess i'll limit this post to the one.

any help would be great, i think i have more banner work coming my way.

thanks!

I'm also interested in seeing some responses to this because I'll be making my first banner in the next few weeks.

I highly recommend applying vinyl onto banners using the "wet" method.

There is probably a instructional video on here on this subject. I try to make sure my work surface is nice and flat, then using the hinge method i squeegee behind my graphic pushing the air out as i lay the graphic down onto the banner. this almost completely eliminates air bubbles. I almost never use the wet method anymore. the more you do the more comfortable you will get doing it dry.

New Moon Graphics

been doing it dry and had no problems i do all of my alps dry i tried wet 2 times and bad luck i stick to dry you just have to be brave

over 1000 banners in the last 3 years and I do 95% wet. The only banners I do dry are ones that don't have nice smooth surfaces. I"ve seen too many 'dry' banners with bubbles coming out of other shops to take a chance. Fact is,on a smooth,glossy surface, it is VERY hard to do wet without bubbles. Of course like I said, I've only got the 1000 banners I have done to go by.

One bubble is too many.

the only tool I can think of thats going to save you a crap load of time and stress is an Ezy Taper...

its worth a bit though, I suggest you take a look at their instructional videos or take a look on ebay, could get one cheap.

Yeah, do what Firemalt does. get in the shower, get wet and then apply the graphics.

Guest kenya

Yeah, do what Firemalt does. get in the shower, get wet and then apply the graphics.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D

:thumbsup: to funny!!  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Do you get in the shower with the banner or without??

Shower... get all soaped up, then use the banner like a slip-n-slide. After the fun hasbeen had, then lay the vinyl, and squeegee.

Pull banner tight across table with bungee cords, lay vinyl with a Big Squeegee. Done!

I have done a ton of them like that and never get bubbles.

The Big Squeegee is an invaluable tool IMO