locknload1

"Etched" Glass

Here's a project I did using some really crappy eBay vinyl and a spray can of Valspar glass frosting I had lying around from when I made my 24"X 24" light box.

Great way to get rid of the cheap vinyl I wouldn't give away in most cases and a plus to sell to customers that want the effect but rent their shop/building.

Took about two hours total.

RG

BTW, the light box was a $24.00 project I'll be posting later...

post-4721-12986534769735_thumb.jpg

post-4721-12986534783383_thumb.jpg

Guest Schramm

I love the design and your job looks great but I have tested that stuff in the past and it scratches right off - hope you dont have kids!

Guest Schramm

Now if you want a semi costly product that stays in place and looks like real etched glass, both Oracal and Avery have one.  I used it all the time.  I sandblast but for the most part people want things more affordable so that is what I do.  Etching this design say for a door opening to a cigar shop humidor would require either a sandblasting recovery unit or taking the door down (which you cannot do on a humidor) but how I have done this so it is fast and easy is by selling them pre-cut designs in etched glass vinyl.  To make a fair profit you need to charge about $10-12 per sf plus shipping.

post-0-12986534772844_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986534785798_thumb.jpg

I love the design and your job looks great but I have tested that stuff in the past and it scratches right off - hope you dont have kids!

I had that problem too on test areas and discovered that my towels had fabric softener/anti static on them right out of the bag; wash your cloths first and do a double rinse to get everything off.

Then clean the glass with denatured alcohol (only thing I use) taking care to clean the areas surrounding the application area as well.

These steps will ensure that everything from vinyl to paint will stick to the glass and you'll end up with a problem free instillation like mine.

The stuff works (kids ages 22,16,5 & 3) and just about every one has touched it that sees it to see if it's etched on or painted, it looks as good as the day it was done five months and several cleanings ago.

RG 

Guest Schramm

Great, I will play around with it a little as I have it on hand and I have a ton of spraymask I will let you know how it turns out.  I was not saying that it wouldnt work, I just had a bunch of bonding problems when I used it that steared me away from it.  There is a company that makes a roll on version of this stuff that stays until you want it to go away and I can tell you it is ultra expensive unless you are doing a lot of it!!!

The stuff works (kids ages 22,16,5 & 3) and just about every one has touched it that sees it to see if it's etched on or painted, it looks as good as the day it was done five months and several cleanings ago.

RG 

That's a big range in kids ages! ;)

Caught that huh?

I was going to retire young; God bless her, wife had other ideas for me and my Porsche!?!?!? ;)

Now I drive the twelve year old Explorer everyone else learned to drive in...

RG