Sign in to follow this  
SandyM114

dtshirt vinyl cutting

I tried to cut my first tshirt vinyl design tonight. I did mirror my image, so did that part right, but after the cutting was finished, there was nothing there. Cut it 4 separate times and nothing shows up. Do you change the blade depth or the pressure to cut this vinyl? I've messed with both with no luck. What's going on?Anyone? Sandy  Also, I'm pretty sure I have siser easy weed in white. It's not on a roll, so its hard to decide which is the right and wrong side. The glossy side seems like it's the clear backing, sound right? Help! I've got 4 band shirts for my grandson's band and he needs them Wednesday night if I can get them done.

Sandy - You are correct that the shinny side is the backing - cut some tonight - after you cut the white Siser you cannot see the cuts but when you start peeling it you will find the edges.  I have read several things from wiping it after cutting to pouncing with blue chalk line chalk and wiping to make it easier to see.  The white is by far the worse

I've reads everything I can on this topic, but I think my blade is the problem. I can't see it touching the vinyl as it cuts, there are no lines cut when it's finished cutting.Sandy

I cut the same piece of vinyl 4 separate times, there were no cuts anywhere either time. I tried to weed, and there was no cuts at all. Should I change the blade depth so the blade sticks out more?

Guest fivestar

Sand you normally don't have to do that, but since you're saying there is no marks on the vinyl then yes I would try extending the blade some.

What vinyl are you using?  I have to change my force from 70 to 120 to it cut some of the vinyl.  I have a cheat sheet so I will remember.  I don't change my blade depth, just the force and I always perform a "test cut" before cutting the project.  In my cut program (Sign Cut X2) I have the option of the test cut.  It cuts two small squares on inside the other, then I can check for weedability.

I cut some Siser easyweed white with mine a few weeks ago. I was using a pressure setting of 110 to 120, I didn't change my blade depth, still set at half a credit card. It is hard to see the line on white though that is for sure.

I agree with not changing your blade depth for heat press vinyl as its very thin and it shouldn't be necessary.  Pressure is where you need to look if you have already been cutting properly on sign vinyl.  Also, you might need to wipe down your vinyl after its cut to help see the cut marks as some are very hard to see when there is dust or oxidation on the surface.

I have the laserpoint.... when I cut regular vinyl, I use 117 pressure.  When I cut heat-applied vinyl for tshirts, I up it to 141..... Don't change your blade depth - change the pressure on the cutter.

Than ks very much for the information. I was finally able to get it cut. My blade wasn't sticking out of the holder at all, so I really wasn't getting any cuts. I upped the pressure to 140 and cut almost through the backing in places. I'll have to really lower it next time. I'll post a pic tomorrow after pressing the shirts.Thanks!

Sandy

There are plenty of good guides for setting blade depth around here.  I would recommend for something quick and easy to just put the blade all the way in and manually test it on a scrap piece of vinyl.  Adjust the blade out about a 1/4 turn and then test over and over till you get it so you have just enough blade sticking out to cut through the vinyl and not the backing.  Then when you put it back in your cutter you may be a bit short depending on your pressure and cutter in general.  Then you can do some small adjustments if needed to get it just right.  Once I get the depth set right I don't mess with anything but pressure unless I'm doing some kind of mask or something thicker.