metatrox

Getting ready to do T-shirts

Alright so I just bought a 15x15 Sunie press and a roll of white and black siserweed EasyWeed from USC.

Do i NEED anything else? I see peeps talking about teflon sheets. Do you need them for vinyl or only like ink transfers?

Are there any good starter threads here with good direction.

I appreciate the help!

I CANT WAIT!! I have shirt designs i've made for like cafepress and zazzle. But they cost like $25-$30 each. I'm hoping to make them for myself around $5-8 right?

Guest fivestar

Just remember CUT IN MIRROR/FLIPPED.  You WILL forget to do this, I promise.  ;D ;D ;D Yes you should be around that price range.  Good forum for t-shirts is www.t-shirtforums.com and http://tbiz101forum.com (which our very own MonkeyMeMe is on the staff there ;))

you'll need a teflon sheet when re-pressing when you peel the mylar layer off (clear layer).. otherwise your platen will stick to the vinyl.. our heat presses have teflon affixed permanelty to both upper and lower(just a time saver.. and we're a bit lazy ;) )

have fun.. enjoy!

If you don't want, can't wait for teflon sheet you can do very well with parchment paper from the bakeing department in your local grocery store. Caution. Some have chemicals but I use reynolda without any problems. Good luck.

Terry

Guest fivestar

You can also use the backing paper from sign vinyl if you're in a pinch.

Thanks everyone!! I was able to add some Teflon sheets to my order from sunie. Should have the vinyl Friday and the press Monday. Guess they didn't get it out quick enough. B) was hoping to play this weekend. ;D

A little tip: From experience(cut one wrong too), if you cut a design and forget to mirror it. If it's a single color layout and for you or a friend, press the wrong one on the reverse of the shirt. makes it look like the design goes clear through. And gets peoples attention. Provided it's not printed.

Once I cut text for a friends hood the wrong way. I ended up cutting another the proper way and pressing one on the outside (the proper one) and one on the inside (the backwards one) on the lip of his hood. It came out pretty cool like an optical illusion.

The only other thing not mentioned that I can think of is getting an IR gun to make sure your press is at the right temperature.

Thanks everyone! Yeah I got the press and the vinyl in yesterday!! I've already done like 5 shirts. Can't wait to post them and show them off. I picked up several shirts for $.99 each at a local store. Plenty of things to try.