Sign in to follow this  
Johnnyboy7444

job offer

So I got a call today from a local graphics shop that do a wide variety of things from embroidery to screen printing to digital printing to simple vinyl lettering and signs and they are wanting to hire me on full time here's the greatest part i have only owned my cutter for a little over a month and some how the owner saw some of my work and loved it.............I'm super excited i will know more tomorrow!

Haven't seen many of your other posts, so I dont know what your situation is, but be careful they aren't trying to hire up their competition for next to nothing!

You may be left in a position that you couldn't do any side-work at all (non-compete agreement)..

Guest Schramm

Forget that man, if they saw your work and you have only been doing this a month chances are they are new to.  Stay working for yourself!

Forget that man, if they saw your work and you have only been doing this a month chances are they are new to.  Stay working for yourself!

Hell, i'll work at a shop AND work at mine. Double money :thumbsup:

If the shop has been in business for a while, it might be a good learning experience, I agree with the above though that you need to be careful about what you "sign" (no pun intended) you DO NOT want to get into a situation where you are unable to compete in your area for a  number of years.  Good Luck!

yes this is a business that has been around as long as i can remember and i never thought about me not being able to produce for my clients i have now. well i guess it was a good thing that i posted this thanks everyone!

Yeah ..shure, they can pay you what you think you are worth and charge the costumer what they think you are worth and no more competition.

Guest fivestar

Just remember "keep your friends close and keep your enemies closer".  I'd say you might be "spooking them" by the sounds of it to me.  I'd use that to my advantage and start letting people know casually that they was wanting to hire you, word will get out quick and more business will start coming your way from it.  Unless of course, you want to go to work for them.  Self-employment is not for everyone.

well heres an update sounds like they want to do mostly digital printing  :- but i have never done it before is it going to be easy to learn? i might add i haven't had a full time job in 7 months. im not to concerned about not being able to compete in my area as long as i get a steady paycheck i just need a little help making up my mind any input is welcome.

Guest fivestar

If you need a steady paycheck then I say go for it.  You've got to pay the bills and put food on the table.

Make sure before you accept the position that there is no non-compete agreement.  You have your customers, and they have theirs.

However, even if they don't ask you to sign a non-compete, it could still get tricky as you look to gain more customers in the future.  They could look at it as you are a wolf in the sheep's den.

It really depends what you want to do.  If you think you can grow your business fast enough to compete with the wages from this job and you have the tenacity to stick with it, don't take the job.  If, on the other hand, you want steady employment and the pay is better than you could expect with your own biz, take it.

Guest Schramm

Question, do have now or will you have to buy a large format printer?  Also why doesnt this company invest the money in this printer?  Here is another one, "Why would they hire you to digital printing for them when you have no experience?  These are the questions that strike me kinda funny.  I get offers all the time to go out and do work for other people both in faux finishing and cutting but I am very careful how deep I let people get into my business as a lot of companies see you there and assume if you are doing work for them you will toss them your work or client list.  What I say to that is FORGET IT!  If I were you I wouldnt concentrate on getting to do work for them but insted either buy the printer as an add on to your business (my guess they are getting calls that they cannot fill) or if you already have one use it to the best of your ability and get your stuff where people can see it.  Working for yourself can be a 9-5, 7-10 or whatever and your profit margin working for yourself more then makes up for the money that you will earn working for others.  Bear through the tough times now and you will be glad you stayed on your own as it sounds to me like they are trying to get you to work for them and not with them and there is no money in it for you in that situation!  If you dont listen to this advise that is fine but make sure that you get everything in writing.  Force them into minimums - Like I will do this for you but you have to fufill a minimum of $10K a year in printing and that way if they only do $6k then they will have to pay you another $4K for doing nothing.  What that does it tells them that you will do it but they had better sell it!  As mentioned before at no time sign a no compete as if you do it will be time to move!!!

Personally I would pass right on by that deal like a freight train going south as walking a simple flyer to local businesses will bring you enough money to put food on the table and at least tht table will be where you are now and not another town!