Stick-Mission

New to buying plotters, advice?

Hi, I'm a newbie looking to buy a plotter to start a sign and sticker company, and also to do blueprints with CAD.

I notice that there is a large price range for plotters.  And I'm looking for some advice!  (Anything!)  Of course, I want one that is reliable, doesn't break down or crinkle paper.

What do I need to consider for software?  I know that plotters work from line art.  Can I just use Macromedia Flash for that?  (Will ANY line-art software interface?)

In terms of business, what do you guys find makes the most money?  How do you market yourselves?  Who are your clients?  What can I expect to make off of this investment?

What about used equipment?  There's a guy by my house selling some equipment.  Can you please take a look at his ad and tell me your opinion? http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bar/1092221184.html

Thank you for any advice you can give!  I really appreciate it.

If it was me, and I had the means to afford that equipment I might go for it, thats a pretty killer deal on that printer and cutter setup, and with the computers and software to run them, and materials to boot.  But I would also be taking a look at the Roland Versacamm machines.  A brand new one will run you about the same price for the SP-300v or $4-5000 more for the VP-300, both are 24" cutter/printer in one machine, but wont include any materials or the computer, but it does come with the software.

Sticker-Mission,

I see your are in Portland Or., nice to see you neighbor!

That equipment you posted is good quality, and the price is right.

Yes you can get a all in one machine, but for starting out in something that may or maynot take off, the craigslist deal is better.

If you are in Portland, go down to Pacific Coast Sign Supply, SE 7th, and talk with them.

That way you will gain one on one contact information, see all the supplies that you can purchase, and even try out some equipment that they have on display.

As far as making money, it all depends on what you want to do.

Making banners and magnets are quick, easy, and profitable.  If you can find the customer.  :thumbsup:

Making decals is fun, but unless the customer wants more than 2 or 3, there is little money in it. 

This is my issue right now, everyone wants only one decal for their car, and it takes an hour or two to create the art/decal for $6-$10.  :lol:

As far as software goes, it is all up to you.

I personally use Inkscape and Sign Blazer. 

I do use Photoshop, MGI, Print Master, plus a few others.

Hope this helps!

Muttley

Hi!  thanks a lot for the advice, guys!

I'll definitely check out that place in Portland you recommended.  It would be really valuable to talk to someone and see these machines work.

Do you have an operation in Portland, too?  Any chance you and I could hang out and you could show me your set up?

stick-mission.com

Stick-Mission,

I am way out in Hillsboro, and unfortunately am unable to have you hang out for awhile.

Again, go down to Pacific Sign Supply, they would be more than happy to show you how things work, especially if they think they will be making a customer too!

Muttley