Sign in to follow this  
FROADER

g5 not finding driver

Ok, Ken has been very helpful getting me to the right driver and all, but I am still having a connectivity problem.  :)

I have

OSX 10.4.10,

Signcut x2 2.17

Refine MH 721

I downloaded the correct driver from here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I installed the driver, restarted, tried to add the cutter, and it's not finding anything. I was told that I should be able to use the USB cable which I am ans still nothing.

Can someone help me. please?  :)

Please? Anyone? I'm going on 3 weeks with no operation now, and I'm feeling pretty shitty about my purchase. Over 50 views of this thread and not even a suggestion. 

I am not sure what you mean when you say you tried to add the cutter. It should not be installed as a printer, yet communicates directly with SignCut. If the driver is installed, you should select Refine as the manufacturer, Refine MH/EH 721 as the cutter and /dev/USBSerial000000 (something like that) as the device. If you do not have the /dev/USB as a selection in SignCut, the driver may not be showing up. I had a customer last week that had the same problem, driver not showing up when installed, and they tried the same thing on another Mac, and it installed flawlessly. Have you tried another computer? Is the driver even showing up in SignCut?

Ken, thank you for the response.

In signCut when I hit print, I only have the option to print from my desktop printer, or add printer. I have a laptop I can try from I guess, but I would really like to be able to do this from my desktop.

When I click on "cutter" this is what I have.

Picture_6.png

I checked my SignCut on the Mac here, and could not find anywhere to click on Print, only Cut Out, so I assume this is what you meant. You can either click on the scissors, then Cut Out, or go to File, then click Cut Out. I would also set the Baud rate back to 9600 and ignore that message in SignCut because anytime you power cycle your cutter it will default to 9600. The settings look correct, and it appears as though the driver is loaded properly.

That was the problem. I'm completely new to plotters/cutters and their software and so used to other programs, that I missed that fuction. Now I need to read what to do about it cutting a line from the finished cut to the origin. I've seen that people figured it out so I will search for those threads. Unless of course you could help me out.  :)

Thank you again Ken for helping me out. I was clicking on the little printer icon at the top left that I outlined in red in this pic.

SignCut.jpg

The line cut back to origin can be a number of different things. Static electricity is the #1 culprit. Make sure you have the ground wire connected to the bottom of the cutter and the other end to the stand. This will keep static away from the cutter, and more importantly, the carriage which is controlled magnetically. If it is in a carpeted area, it may even be worse. Some users have said the temperature of the room has caused the issue as well, but once the room was cooled, the issue went away. Also make sure that the cutter is not pulling from a tight roll of material which could cause more static, it is common to loosen the material you will cut off the roll before cutting. Worst case scenario- it could be a hardware issue.