sarconastic

1st-3color 5-layer

My dad called me the other night and we were talking about the sign business I am messing around with. I don't think he understood completely the concept of what a vinyl cutter could do, until I explained to him I could make him custom logos like he used to have on his Drag car. The first words out of his mouth after that were, You mean you could make me a set of Mooneyes? Here is the result I made for him.

I could have made It one less layer, by punching the indie of the moon through he underlying white and black but I wanted to see what a the thing was like with 5 layers and it increased the difficulty a little to see how I did. Plus i used a cimbination of different vinyls i have either bought or gotten samples for . The Black is a roll of BGS I bought to do a stock car for a friend(it's ok, but not real impressed with this). The Yellow is a Sample of Oracal 6510 Fluorescent Cast (WOW nice stuff),The White is a clipping off of a huge roll of Controltac 3m wrapping film I just got.(that I'll probably never use, unless i get some more toys) (I had some white but the texture of this stuff looks cool in the whites of the eyes.

If it wasn't for this forum pointing us in the right direction, this kind of fun stuff just wouldn't be possible. Thanks Again.

post-4426-12986534492881_thumb.jpg

post-4426-12986534505294_thumb.jpg

Damn, that is sweet looking. What software did you use? registration points?

:D:P

looks great  :P

now im no expert but u could of done this just as a 3 layer to save u time if u post the eps il take a look at it and send it u back

Alexander, I used Inkscape to do the vector, then I imported it into sign blazer and did the rest. Then I had to combine a lot of objects to get it the way I wanted.

The Registration points I just made a box .16 square then put a .14 circle in the middle out of different colors, I then Weld/punched the circle out of the box, then when cutting i selected alternate colors for each layer. Like the Black Background Circle I selected the color of the square in addition to the black using CTL in the color menu. For the Yellow Circle I selected yellow for the large circle and  the color for the registration circle. I am going to try this again in SignCut X2 to see the difference (if I ever get the registration code from USCUtter....hint hint).

Tinky, when I get home tonight I'll try to remember to post the EPS here. I reduced it from it's original 6 layer down to the 5 layer. What I notice when i was done though was that the layers the way they are make a really nice solid image and you don't have the punch out layer edges and the thickness wasn't too bad either. One thing I will say, on a 4" image when you get 5 registration marks stacked up, it gets a lit precarious . But It was a great learning tool.