alhjc6

Another Rock and a Banner, Too

Love how the rock turned out!

The banner layout looks nice to!

We just use garden variety krylon.  The guys at the sand carving website use Lithichrome (I think that is how it is spelled).  It comes in aerosol and regular cans.  We haven't progressed past Wal-mart yet.  We are still playing. 

But, we used hunter green and white.  The white about caused a divorce  :thumbsup: because I had him put an extra coat on.  Oh well...maybe I'll stick to designing and cutting and he can do the rest!

Thanks for looking!

PattyT

Are you useing sandblast mask, and what are you useing for media, those would be great for garden art.

On rocks, we definitely use sandblast mask.  I got a roll of Blastlite from R&J Sign in St. Louis.  It works OK.  We tried to use just stencil mask, but that is WAY too thin for rock.  It got the heck blasted out of it and we couldn't blast too deep.  Plus, we had to re-mask the parts we didn't want to paint because the stencil got pock marks in it.  Regular paint stencil mask, or even old scraps of vinyl, work great on glass, though!

The refine I have works pretty good on the blastlite.  It is REALLY thick.  I have to use a 60 degree blade to cut it and I think I put the pressure around 150 or so.  Plus, I cut pretty slowly.  Hartco is a pretty popular blast mask on the sandcarver forum.  However, my supplier carried Anchor Blastlite and a bunch of more expensive stuff.  This stuff cost me around $60 for a 15" x 10 yd roll. 

The biggest problem we had working with the blastlite was that it was hard to get it to pull off the release paper.  We tried a couple of clear tapes I have.  It didn't even stick, hardly.  We tried a paper mask from SW.  That didn't work.  We finally got it to pull away using RLA4025(?). 

We have a cheapie Harbor Freight blast cabinet ($259 in yesterday's flier).  We use aluminum oxide also from Harbor Freight.  I haven't really found anywhere else to get different blasting media. Some people use regular sand, but I have heard that regular sand can make a person sick.

We also use just old krylon or whatever we have handy in a rattle can.  The guys on the sandcarver forum use lithichrome.  I haven't investigated it yet because I am still pretty wet behind the ears!  Some of that stuff is supposed to be good for 30 years! 

The rocks are ones we pick up at the garden shop for about 25 cents per pound.  So, a good size rock like that one (about 10" long and 8" tall or so) cost me about $5.  That is a pretty cheap mother's day present if you ask me.

I have to say that I like doing vinyl signs.  And, I LOVE doing the blasting stuff.  It is fun to see a plain old rock turn into a piece of art (ok...not so much art, but you know what I mean) with the aid of an air compressor and a blasting gun!

PattyT

We use aluminum oxide also from Harbor Freight.  I haven't really found anywhere else to get different blasting media. Some people use regular sand, but I have heard that regular sand can make a person sick.

This can make you real sick to. I hope you're wearing a respirator or have good ventilation. What ever you do don't breath in the dust. I hope you already know this.

alh nice answer, I have a bodyshop and played with some mirrors,lots of fun. I just bought the bigger cabinet at hf last weekend also the aluminum oxide it does cut alot smoother and faster then sand. The cabinet(259.00) was on sale here in WI for 219.00 so I had to grab it up. If I new how to post a pic I would show you the one I did last night. Thanks luder

Hey Luder!

Posting a pic is OK.  I have had issues with posting on the server, so I opened a photobucket account.  You can share the pic from photobucket by copying the [/img] link into your message.

The rock looks good. I have been wanting to play around with blasting but haven't had the time to yet. I really like the dog/cat concept very original. :lol:

Also I would consider this rock art. Its the composition of all the elements that is YOURS. The cutter/blaster are your tools. So nice job :rolleyes:

Looks great, I need to play with sandblasting one of these days. Have lots of rocks and one that would work perfect to put our address on.

Guest kenya

Great work........ love em both  :thumbsup:.