Sign in to follow this  
DjRhythm

Problems with Seiki SK-870T.....can anyone help ?

As mentioned above I have a relatively new Seiki SK-870T. I use "ArtCut" to cut my vinyl and have until now never really had any dramatic problems. However I tried cutting a vector which was 30cm wide and 150cm long, this cut fine untill after about 60 cm of the vinyl was cut, than the vinyl suddenly started to roll back to the start point, and the blade started heading towards the far left of the machine, cutting a nice long diagnal line on the way and then just stopped, leaving my half plotted vector with a diagnal cut through it :-( I tried the same vector again in smaller size and cut no problems. I tried a different vector in small and again no problems, untill i tried the second vector on a larger scale (again approx 1 meter long) than the problem re-occured, again after approx. 55-60 cm.

Anyone else had this problem or know of a solution?

Many thanks in advance :-)

I had same problem, so i reinstall software I'm using for cutting, and install ground wire(grounded cutter)

No problem ever again.

as far as grounding the cutter if it is on a stand simply run a wire from one of the screws on the bottom of the the cutter to one of the screws on the stand. mine came with this wire i too have the seiki 870t. also if it is on carpet you might try putting a board or ceramic tile under the rollers to get it up off the carpet this will help with static also

ok i tried the grounding wire from a screw on the base of the cutter to a screw on the stand. The whole thing is standing on wooden flooring, but the problem still occurs!

Anymore suggestions please?

I've often questioned the grounding method explained above, since the machine is grounded to the stand by the 4 screws that hold it onto the stand.  I believe the correct or more proper way to ground it would be to use a wire connected to the stand (or the bottom of the machine) in which the other end of the wire would connect to an earth ground, such as the screw holding an outlet cover on.  This doesn't make much sense either though, since the machine's power plug contains a ground to that (through the electrical plug) already.

I've also experienced the static electricity problem you described in your first post.  It is caused by the backing paper of the vinyl being rubbed across the faces of the machine during the cutting process and gets worse the faster your machine moves and cuts the vinyl.  This issue is more prevailant during the winter, when the humidity in the vicinity of the machine is reduced by central heating.  Touching the machine while it's cutting, and causing a small spark between your hand and the machine is a definite indicator that static electricity is the culprit.  Memory chips inside the machine are prone to be affected, which throws off the programming on them as well as the commands sent to the cutter by the software.

There are a few things that I can recommend to overcome this issue.  The first being, slow your cutting speed, so the machine doesn't move the vinyl through the rollers as fast.  Static electricity build up and the subsequent discharge will be reduced.  Another solution is to use clothes dryer sheets, such as Bounce, by rubbing it on the vinyl to be cut, before you start cutting.  There are also antistatic sprays that you can use to spray on the backing paper before you load it into the machine, but they can get messy real quick. The another recommendation might sound weird, but works better than anything else to reduce the buildup of static electricity.  Purchase a vaporizer, usually used for sinus congestion relief, and place it near the area of your machine (anywhere in the same room, but not too close as to create water droplets on your vinyl).  You can also use a spray bottle of water that creates a very fine mist in the air when sprayed.  Spray the area around your machine (up in the air and let the mist disperse over a wide area).  Be carefull not to spray it directly at your machine or anything else electric or electronic.  Putting a large potted plant, the kind you water weekly, near your cutting area will also increase humidity in the vicinity of your work area and help reduce the issue.  Just remember to keep it watered.

Once you reduce the dryness in the room, your static electricity issue should be resolved. 

Your mileage may vary.