Sign in to follow this  
geminisigns

Error initializing cutter - no apparant cause?

Hey all, i apologise if this question has already been answered elsewhere here, but we have had regular problems with our cutter for a while now, and now we cannot get it working full stop.

Here's the situation - our setup is a Creation PCUT plugged into a USB cable into a 4-slot USB adaptor into our Windows XP computer. Ive checked the device manager and matched it to the SignBlazer settings, regarding flow control etc. But no matter what I try, I get the same message: Can not open output device. Error initializing cutter. This is now universal - I cannot cut anything on the cutter. this would happen before, but normally some fiddling around with device manager would get it working again. Now nothing appears to work.

Let me just clarify again : I matched up the settings in Device Manager (i.e. Flow Control: Hardware) with those in SignBlazer, the cutter is online, and Signblazer is detecting it. We have also tried connecting the cutter to our laptop and installing SignBlazer on that, but the same problem occurs there.

Anybody have any ideas what the problem is? I have tried downloading new drivers for it but no effect.

any info would be greatly appreciated people.

First check the cutter.

Power ON and press the online key.

Press untill you see baudrate.

It must be on 9600 and not 19200.

By pressing reset/online or other keys without attention it might you had is set at 19200 (I know from experience!!)

Other:

Try to remove the USB hub.

Try straigth cable first.

Set both 9600,n,8,1 hardware control in SB and XP. (you already did but you never know).

Let us know.

Paco

It was on 19200, so I set it to 9600 but still nothing.

Ive plugged the USB straight into the computer, and its coming up as coming through on COM8 - USB Serial port. Ive checked off the settings both in SB and Device Manager, they all match up. Still nothing. :thumbsup:

Hi Gemini,

I think your problem will be a connection fault.  This would be the first thing to check. You should be able to run the plotter's test program if your PC & Plotter are connected correctly.