graphikta

best vinyl for car roof application?

i have a client that wants the entire roof on his red car covered in black vinyl. (he doesn't want to paint it).

so i am wondering what vinyl would be best to use for that?

the UV has to beat on it alllll the time being on the roof, so is there a certain vinyl that will hold up?

thanks in advance.

charles

All vinyl has an outdoor rating.  I would imagine on the roof of a car it would not be exposed to the elements anymore than say if it was on a sign, and since most of these vinyls are for sign applications, I would just trust the manufacturers specs.

That said I would use the highest quality I could, probably oracal 851 cast.

I have flat blacked someones roof with 6 year vinyl and it went on good just didn't wrap around the edges as good as i wanted it to. Deff use 751 or 851 though.

I agree...A good cast vinyl will conform much more easily as well as have a longer lifespan.

Are you sure you need the roof?  I'd just cut it off and make a convertible.

:huh:  ;D:huh:

that would work in Cali ;D    suck big time here :huh: unless u enjoy soggy leather. If u dont like the weather here today, just wait 4 tommorow it will be different. ;D ;D

that would work in Cali ;D     suck big time here :huh: unless u enjoy soggy leather. If u dont like the weather here today, just wait 4 tommorow it will be different. ;D ;D

You got that right!

No kidding! Same here in Illinois. 70 degrees and sunny yesterday. High of 53 today and callin for thunderstorms. Callin for snow tomorrow and a high of 40.

that would work in Cali ;D     suck big time here :huh: unless u enjoy soggy leather. If u dont like the weather here today, just wait 4 tommorow it will be different. ;D ;D

We got ya beat here in Maryland  :huh: ... especially around the Chesapeake Bay . Our saying is " if you don't like the weather , wait 15 minutes "

Thats cause us hillbillies dont get in a hurry bout much but wimmin n whiskey. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:  :P .

Sorry, but I'm in Iowa, we got everyone beat on climate change conditions. Our motto is if you don't like the weather here, wait '5' minutes and it'll change.

Last week on one day we a high of 71. The next day it snowed 4 1/2" of snow, The next day we Torrential rains with thunderstorms, then that night it dropped into the thirties. This weekend, it was 57 on Friday, sunny nice a little breezy. That night we had 50-MPH winds, all next day the high was 25, with 30+mph winds. Sat night dropped to 12 Deg and snowed off and on all day Sunday.

This is friggin APRIL bring on the dang sun all ready, i am tired of winter. er summer,, er winter I mean summer aaaarrrrghhh!

kevin

71 degrees n sunny yesterday, tee shirt n shorts n loafers w/no socks. Today spitting snow n sleet all day! Wife had me cut all her iris's n tulips n bring em in. Low tonight 27.

Iowa supposed to have snow this time year not here. Although I can remember when I was a kid (long time ago, late sixties)  :huh: it snowed 4" on Easter. Blooming buttercups sticking up through snow, that just did not look right somehow. :thumbsup:

LOL. I hear ya. But we normally don;t have snow this time of year, it hits every 7 - 10 years that we usually get one good snow at the end of march or april, then it's done. This year it's been steady all stinkin' year long. Nothing terribly heavy, but nasty cold, and snows almost every week.

I was out last week, getting the number off my boat motor so i could order a starter for it. It mid 60's or so. Now the boats back tarped up and were waiting for spring....again.

Hey sarconastic  I worked for Maytag for Sixteen years. Then Whirpool bought Maytag and has been steadily shuting the Maytags down. I got my layoff notice letter last week. The plant where I work shuts forever August 27. Maytag will no longer be a seperate product, just rebranded Whirlpool. Yey NAFTA! Keep shipping our jobs overseas and wondering why we are going broke. Might.. get a trip to Brazil to help set it back up. They have not decided yet.

Hey Alien ,

Where you the guy in repair that was sitting by the phone waiting for a call  :thumbsup: ? I am sorry to hear about the lay-off . Sadly , tough times & everybody is going to feel it . I hope you rebound well !!! I know you will as you have women of high standards in your life  :thumbsup:

Alien, we went through the same thing here in our town, a local factory opened a plant in mexico. Flew all our people down there to set  it up. Gave everyone a schedule about when the plant was going to close, and the whole mess. I found another job somewhere else and so did hundreds of others out of the factory. That was 12 years ago. They never closed the local factory, they couldn't produce as much in the Mexican plant as they did here and keep the same quality standards. They still fly people from here down there to correct production errors and to make production schedules.

It sort of makes me mad that Big Corps do this to people. Here I am 12 years later and just now getting back up to the wage I was making in that factory. But a lot happier, I didn't have a life in that place. Especially in economic times as hard as these. Which, Where I am in the Midwest, we aren't hit near as hard as many places, it either hits us slow or we weather through as best we can.

I hope you are able to get through this and continue on in good health and happiness.

Kevin

Where you the guy in repair that was sitting by the phone waiting for a call

rofl  I took Monday off to work around the house. They called me three times from the plant. When i walked in Tuesday first thing was "Where the @%$# were u yesterday!"  ;D Engineer walked up to me this afternoon and asked if i had caught up yet from Monday? I asked him what would have happened if i had taken the whole week off. He shook his head and walked off. :thumbsup:

I know you will as you have women of high standards in your life 

AMEN :thumbsup:;D ;D