seatek

Just A TEST ...

Hello all,

Out of the 4500 or so members ...

1. How many do you think are active weekly?

2. How many of those active members do you think are ACTIVELY contributing ...    ... and finally ...

3. How many .. or what percentage do you think are just using this forum as a one sided tool?

Just thought I'd ask ..         

SeaTek <---

<------------------------------------------------>

1. 400? .. (just a guess)

2. less than 400

3. unsure at this time due to being new to this forum

could be wrong ...            your thoughts?

About 400 members have over 100 posts on their account. And while a post count necessarily make a member an "active member", that just gives you an idea. I believe there are several hundred "lurkers" that surf the forum, and don't need to post a question cause it's already been asked and answer to their needs. I would say about half of the members come here to ask one or two questions, to get there machine running, and then forget about this place... which is a shame, cause they are missing out on a lot of good information!

I'm one of those people.  I come here several times a day and read all new posts.  I am too new to the whole cutting process to really be of any help so I defer to the exerts and let them answer the questions.  Plus like FM says, anything you need to know has pretty much already been answered so spending 5 minutes searching will generally get you what you want to know.

<------------------------------------------------>

1. 400? .. (just a guess)

2. less than 400

3. unsure at this time due to being new to this forum

could be wrong ...             your thoughts?

My thoughts are ... It really does not matter . It is ok for people to join to learn & after doing that move on , since that what this forum is for . People who stay , make friends , continue to learn & help others vary as far as daily , weekly or monthly participation . Activity alone is not a meter of how beneficial a member is or isn't . There are some 1 sided users , but like rude , ill-mannered members , they get left alone or dealt with eventually . It seems some members post just to convince others that a certain way , what to charge etc is the " right " way .That gets annoying quickly .

I think a large portion of the one sidedness happens in the vectorizing and graphics forum....people come on, get their design done for them, and post thank you and go down the road.  Not all people are this way, but lots are.  Kinda irritates me, especially when you see someone with 3 or 4 posts asking for a good hour of work and getting irritated when nobody posts a graphic back in the first 20 minutes...but thats the ugly selfish side of me and I try to put it aside and be as helpful as I can.

This is a great place, and will continue to grow.  Not all people like to do the whole forum thing, and thats fine.  Me personally love being part of a community and try to give back because of so much knowledge I have gained.  I went from never running a cutter in my life 2 months ago, to being able to put a couple of the local sign guys here to shame (at least in my oh so humble opinion).  A big part of my success can be attributed to this forum.

So....for all you out there who think they can't help and just like to read...get out of your shell a bit and post.  Share something unique you do with your cutter, or just something in general.  Everyone here can contribute an idea that even the most seasoned of sign makers hadn't thought of. 

I think a large portion of the one sidedness happens in the vectorizing and graphics forum....people come on, get their design done for them, and post thank you and go down the road.  Not all people are this way, but lots are.  Kinda irritates me, especially when you see someone with 3 or 4 posts asking for a good hour of work and getting irritated when nobody posts a graphic back in the first 20 minutes...but thats the ugly selfish side of me and I try to put it aside and be as helpful as I can.

I think we would see alot less traffic on the forum if the "graphic" sub-forums were removed(which wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit, plus seeing how this is a "tech support" froum, USC is going one step farther to my their customers happy).

I am one of those that read a lot and learn.  I have found that I go from posting a lot to not posting, depending on my mood and needs.  I also find that when I am thinking of a new idea, I read the posts and they seem to have posts answering my questions by someone else asking the same thing.  Usually I can find answers by reading the past posts.

Since this is a help forum, I don't feel guilty at all about "lurking" as some might suggest.  I appreciate all the support provided and also support US Cutter when possible.  I will also contact other members for their services when it is needed.

I also notice that some times the posts get somewhat testy from time to time.  I get in that mood sometimes also.  I try not to post during those times and if I did I hope I haven't offended anyone.  I enjoy the interaction of the forum even though I might be actively involved.

Thanks to all.

Gary

I think we would see alot less traffic on the forum if the "graphic" sub-forums were removed(which wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit, plus seeing how this is a "tech support" froum, USC is going one step farther to my their customers happy).

It wouldn't hurt my feelings either, and I think would actually help UScutter's image...I feel some of the copyrighted material that gets passed in there on a regular basis kinda gives them a black eye.  I would like to keep the vectorizing section somewhere, as I feel that if used correctly, that would be a place alot of people could acquire the skill.  By no fault of their own though people posting entier collections of copyrighted works and stuff like that reflects negatively on UScutter...at least IMO.

I like the Vectorizing requests. Some of them are a challenge. I do appreciate the people that want to learn and not just have someone do the work for them. That is what the site is all about.

wow I just looked and I have way more post then I thought lol the most out of any forum that I'm on including my own lol. I try to help out as much or more then I ask for help. When I first started I didn't post much because most questions I had had already been asked and answered. I'm on here several times a day everyday depending on how much my too little girls will let me lol. I don't help as much as I could just because I find a lot of people help them before I read the post lol and I don't really see the need to help vector something for them after 4 other people have already done it lol. But then I also don't post a lot because I'm a really quite person in person.

Edit I love the vectoring request. I use them for practice

apparently vectorizing isn't correct according to my spell check lol

Agreed, I love the vectorizing...and love it even more when people want to learn how to do it instead of just have it done....that said I don't really care for most of the graphic request or graphic sharing threads....too much shady copyright business going on in there, and as someone who draws my designs by hand from photos that are not copyrighted and either under public licensing or I use my own photos or photos of others with permission.....I would be upset if someone stole my exact designs.  The ideas or sayings in my decals are one thing if you take the time to create your own version....but just copying the graphic is low!

I'll start to worry about how many actually paticipate when people's questions aren't getting answered. So far, it hasn't happened.(well, the odd question here and there,perhaps)

Guest sciondrgn

I dont know everything there is to know but I try to stop by once or twice a day and if I can help I do..  :thumbsup: This has been one of the best forums I've been on personally

I wish I could contribute more.  But, alas, I am still learning (aren't we all).  I don't like to ask many questions ('Keep your mouth shut and let everyone assume you are an idiot or open your mouth and remove all doubt' is my dad's favorite saying!) because sometimes I don't feel like I am well-versed in the lingo.  But, any time I have had a question, I get an answer.  I have even sent a few PMs for those 'this is too embarrassing to ask in public' kind of questions.  I have always gotten nothing but positive answers and encouragement.  If it weren't for you guys here on this board, I would still be cutting test squares!

Someday, maybe I, too, will be able to contribute.  But, for now, I am thrilled to check in many times a day during work and see what everyone else is doing!

PattyT

I think a large portion of the one sidedness happens in the vectorizing and graphics forum....people come on, get their design done for them, and post thank you and go down the road.  Not all people are this way, but lots are.  Kinda irritates me, especially when you see someone with 3 or 4 posts asking for a good hour of work and getting irritated when nobody posts a graphic back in the first 20 minutes...but thats the ugly selfish side of me and I try to put it aside and be as helpful as I can 

I agree , but many don't have anything to contribute except what they have gotten from that thread  . Nobody minds those members . I am 1 that don't have anything to contribute ;(  , but I share my basic knowledge with anyody who does ask a question I know the answer to . I think you should maturly show your irratation when people get impatient when asking for a favor , get rude , ill-mannered etc . Not anything to start a fight , but non-abrasively tell it as it should be told .I have tried to do that a couple times . Good members not having ego's is a big part of why this forum is great  :thumbsup: .

Good members not having ego's is a big part of why this forum is great  Thumbsup .

This is one of the main reasons I like this forum. An example is if you ask for comments on your design, you get them without the belittling. You get constructive criticism.

I check the forum once or twice a day, sometimes more. I like to help out when I can, I can't always because I'm still learning (like many of us) or someone has beat me to it. I appreciate all the information that everyone has posted and a big thanks to US Cutter for hosting a place for us to get together.

I pop in everyday and read the forum, but very seldom post.  I don't have a business or a commercial cutter.  I use a cricut to cut vinyl for craft projects.  I find the information here very helpful, and if I used files other than svg, I'd more than willing to share.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings either, and I think would actually help UScutter's image...I feel some of the copyrighted material that gets passed in there on a regular basis kinda gives them a black eye.  I would like to keep the vectorizing section somewhere, as I feel that if used correctly, that would be a place alot of people could acquire the skill.  By no fault of their own though people posting entier collections of copyrighted works and stuff like that reflects negatively on UScutter...at least IMO.

That I do not agree with.

We're all looking for something every now and then, It would be stupid to close it up, really for no reason? Just because you suggest it?

Copyright material is all over the internet, and with UScutter have the "Graphics Request" thread, it's not hurting anybody, members will go elsewhere to find what they need if they can't here.

My $.02.

That I do not agree with.

We're all looking for something every now and then, It would be stupid to close it up, really for no reason? Just because you suggest it?

Copyright material is all over the internet, and with UScutter have the "Graphics Request" thread, it's not hurting anybody, members will go elsewhere to find what they need if they can't here.

My $.02.

There is lots of crime everywhere in the world.....doesn't make it right.  And no I don't feel like piracy is on the same level as most crime, but in a way it is theft.

I do see your point though, and there is a ton of stuff that goes on in the graphic request forum that is legitimate and ok....but there are also people posting entire payed for collections on there for download.....that I don't agree with, and that is what I am referring to.  There is nothing wrong with having a graphic request thread in theory....its how some people use it thats the problem.  In some ways I am just as guilty, I have used things from there in a couple of my designs...but they were things people traced and posted for others to use.  The one thing I have that is possibly copyrighted in my store is the pissing Calvin.....

Anyways.....everyone has different opinions, thats what makes forums great.  I do not want to come off as against sharing designs or graphics or being a copyright prude....but I cringe and seeing copyright and trademark law blatently stomped over too.  That thread sometime can walk a fine line......

I pop in every day to read and especially look at all the work being posted.  The amount I have learned here is amazing!  I dont have too much to contribute yet, sorry bout that but, hopefully one day I will.

I can actually say I finally "got it" about the pressure.  I'm sure you all thought I was nuts when I had it at 100. Well it is now at 60.  My cutter no longer freezes anymore during jobs either. I have all of you to thank for all of this. :thumbsup:

I just hope one day I can contribute more.

Barbara

I for one like it here, I feel comfortable, I feel welcome, I'm here at least twice a day and some sometimes only once a day ( all day) LOL! I have never been made to feel stupid or small, unwelcome or uncomfortable. I'm making friends and if the graphics sharing thread would shut down tomorrow, I would still come here every day. This is by far the best bunch of people I have ever associated with on the internet. I have learned alot here, and will continue to learn hopefully for a long time to come. I have never seen so many people willing to help others as I have seen here on a daily basis. There is alot of helping, alot of kidding,alot of genuine respect and a whole lot of encouragment and support. I have tried to give back to the community but I don't think I will ever be able to give back all that I have received.

Just my .02

Renee