Sign in to follow this  
Blues

Question about printing transfers

A buddy of mine bought a heat press last week and we are just now starting to pay with it he went to walmart and got a pack of the avery transfer paper for light color shirts. But the problem is after you press it it looks fine but after you wash it it is turning white around the print and we are using ash color shirts. What causes this problem are do they make a transfer paper were the background won't show up after you wash it?

Never tried the Avery paper, but my guess is its pretty much cheap consumer crap.  I can tell you that I use and recommend Jet Pro Soft Stretch JPSS (same paper has lots of other names).  It is pretty much the standard for a reliable paper to put on white shirts or light shirts.  If you are doing darker color shirts, you'll need an opaque paper like EverLast Dark (also has many other names).

The JPSS isn't an issue if there is an edge or border because its normally going on a white shirt anyway and it just blends in, but I would recommend rounding out the corners at the least or cutting around your graphic to minimize the amount of paper that is on the shirt.  I usually contour cut it with my Graphtec just like you would vinyl and weed out the unneeded paper.

The opaque paper like Everlast Dark is purposely white so it acts as a background so your colors will show up properly on the darker colors.  It is also thicker and has more of a paper feeling than the JPSS.  If it was translucent then the colors wouldn't look right because the shirt color would show through them.  When I use opaque paper I cut all of the white space out of it unless its just a picture that I don't mind having a border around.  You can cut this paper by hand as many do, but this is what all the talk about contour cutting is really about.