Sign in to follow this  
Zinger

Copam and USB

I am currently running a Refine 721. but recently had to replace my pc.  I did not have the option at the time to get one with a serial port in it, so I am left with using the USB port, and all the issues that come along with it.  I am thinking about getting a new copam, but only if I do not have to fight with the USB cable.  I understand that there will be a learning curve, and I am cool with that, but the Refine has become trouble than what it is worth trying to get the USB to work properly.  I guess my question is, will the Copam do long cuts without freezing up and giving me random cuts by running it off a USB port.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me.

Rob

With any cutter- if you run USB, and there is a bunch of other stuff on the computer you have the cutter hooked up to- you might get this problem.

Just get a dedicated computer for about $100 without anything but the cutter software on it, and hook i up via Serial if possible, but if not, USB should be fine in most cases.

I do rund a dedicated computer but have used the USB on a P-cut, refine and Copam without any problems!

:(

Thanks Guys

I am just having a hard time with all the issues I have been having with my Refine.  It has been a good cutter, but it has been very frustrating trying to cut anything over 60 inches.  Short items cut perfect  every time, but long runs always takes some caressing and praying, and if I am going to spend $800 on a Copam that does the same thing, I am just as well off to put it towards an even better cutter that does not carry the drama with it.  It appears that serial ports are on their way to becoming obsolete and these cutters should be able to function properly no matter how you connect them to your computer.  I know that USCutter does not build these machines but perhaps putting some pressure on those that do will help get some of these issues resolved.  I have to believe that there may be issues with software and drivers too, not just the cutters.  I find it somewhat irritating that the only answer anyone has is " use a serial port"  if they do not work with a USB why even put them on the cutter.  Forgive me if it seems i am throwing stones here, I understand there is not much USCutter can do about it.  I guess I just have to vent somewhere.  No matter what cutter I decide to get, this is a great forum with great people on it.  I have learned a lot from it, keep up the good work.

Rob

Rob - like I said I have used the usb on all 3 with success - My sister just contacted me about some computers she is going to be selling from a company if you are looking for a dedicated computer cheap

You could always tile the larger file as well.....which will make it easier to apply anyways.

Thanks Dakotagrafx

I may be interested in a machine if the price is right.  I am going to look at getting my other pc fixed first.

Zinger I just recently bought a COPAM 2500. I have run it on usb from day one without problem. Only problem i ran into was with the holder clamp. T6061 and a Bridgeport Mill fixed that. I just finished a run of thirty decals in 71 inches of 24" no prob. I have cut very small fonts and large fonts. None of the probs with USB. Hope this helps.

Thanks again

Dakota I took my old pc to a guy in town, and he thinks he can fix it.  I will know by this weekend if he can or not.  For the time being I will run my refine and finish the jobs I have on the books.  They are mostly short runs and I should be able to function through them.  I am about 99% sure there will be a new copam in my shop within a month or two, what cables I hook it up with is the only question.  I will let you know if I need a pc.

Rob