hickey50

resizing a vinyl roll

I need to find the easiest way to cut a 36" vinyl roll down to 24" with out tearing it up too bad.

a skill saw, wrap the cut point with transfer tape, and cut

interested in how this works out because i tried to tape it up and use a hand saw and it tore it up bad  :(

Hand saws typically have coarser teeth. When he said Skill saw most folks tend to think Skill branded circular saw but I think he was more envisioning a fine tooth band saw. They do make fine tooth hand saws but they usually are reserved for fine woodworking so you find few in home garages.

a circular saw with a paneling blade or a Teflon coated blade for pressure treated lumber

I'd lean more towards taping the roll and cutting with a hack saw. But, that's just me.

Charlie

Guest sciondrgn

What about cutting an app tape roll?  :thumbsup:

Guest kenya

I personally, have never tried. Hope somebody knows  :thumbsup:.

I cut mine with a chop saw. Very slowly or it will trip the breaker. The 'sawdust' is a gunky mess, and it stinks. It will smoke. And you have to have a big enough saw to cut in one whack to get it even.You also have to build a jig to hold the roll in place and perfectly still.

In other words,more trouble than it's worth.

I have seen carpenters put the blade in backwards to cut paneling & stuff very easy to mess up . Would probably work with vinyl  :thumbsup:

I've used a chop saw with good results.  Now I need to do my reamining 30" rolls since I sold the big cutter!

I've seen a drop saw with a grinding cut off wheel used with no tear out at all.  I haven't tried it yet, but the next roll I need to cut down, that's the way I will go.

Thank You for a lot of good information, will sure help in resizing a roll of printable vinyl I have coming in.

Man..

I tried this with a Chop Saw and a brand new fine tooth saw blade. It did nothing but make a mess. The cut was decent until you got down toward the bottom of the row and it would not be smooth.

I went slow, fast, medium, and really slow with no real change.

Any ideas to get a smooth cut?? I really need to do this for striping on a boat, so the cut need's to be clean for it to look decent.

I have never done that , but I know some of the fine carpenders put blades in backwards to make smoother cuts . The edges of the vinyl should not be getting used ( At least 1/2" for the pinch rollers ;D )

I have never done that , but I know some of the fine carpenders put blades in backwards to make smoother cuts . The edges of the vinyl should not be getting used ( At least 1/2" for the pinch rollers ;D )

True. But I was hoping to cut the 1 1/2" size I needed off the roll and use that 1 1/2" for my striping (hence why I needed a clean edge)..

How about rolling it out & using something 1 1/2 " to cut it & reroll ?

How about rolling it out & using something 1 1/2 " to cut it & reroll ?

That what we ended up doing, just running through the cutter and cutting it like that.

If you are looking for a perfect edge you need to find another method.

If you do not mind a slight rough edge you can cut it with a chop saw -

I have done this many times and I just use a standard blade.

I currently have a 60 tooth blade on my 10" chop saw.

I wrap the roll tight with blue tape and cut.

At times I buy the larger rolls as it is cheaper and I can get two usable rolls.