neron15210

EstiMate quick quote FREE

Thanks!!! I went with the vinyl sign plug in, but I should've went with the heat transfer. I believe I have 14 days to switch.

I just learned about these forums from the comments of some people ordering the free QuickQuoter edition.  Thanks for coming over to EstiMate and for teaching me about these forums!  I'll be here more often and I'm glad to find a new online community to participate in.

I would like to point out (to FireMalt) that this is not a demo but a full-featured working copy of EstiMate that used to retail for $199.

Again, how cool to find this place!

I've been meaning to try this one...I know a few ppl here like it.  I enjoy working out my own pricing, shirts aren't that hard to price. But it's great to have a program to compare against...Or to have to give a quick rough estimate.

Great to have you here Mark! I look forward to using your software.

This is one of the friendliest, down to earth forums out! You'll find that out soon enough (if not already).

Welcome to the forum Mark from Southern California  :thumbsup:Thank you

As much as I find estimate software interesting, I find it really depends on  your location.  I definitely couldn't charge what some of you charge...or I'd be sitting here with a cutter, not cutting!  :thumbsup:

I think there is no such thing as 'across the board' pricing!

Just my opinion.

As much as I find estimate software interesting, I find it really depends on  your location.  I definitely couldn't charge what some of you charge...or I'd be sitting here with a cutter, not cutting!  :thumbsup:

I think there is no such thing as 'across the board' pricing!

Just my opinion.

I would have to agree with that. Estimating software is useless unless it is specifically designed to your area and the prices that are average in your area. The old saying goes, "market determines price".

I have seen more than a few estimating programs that were double,even tripple what shops can get here. This would sink my business pretty fast.

Exactly!!!  I wouldn't have repeat customers if I charged those prices.

With these being hard times...I'd rather keep my prices lower AND still make a profit and help MANY businesses then have NO calls or orders.

You have to find what works for you.........

Boy, I guess I have to jump in here!  You guys are missing the point of EstiMate entirely.  

EstiMate tailors itself not only to your area, but also to your overhead, your material costs, and your desired profits.

It doesn't tell you mythical prices.  It tells you what you have to charge to make a profit / living, and then guarantees that you do just that at the same time that it gives you highly polished professional looking quotes.

And yes, all that is available in the free QuickQuoter edition.

I wrote an article on slashing prices that you may want to read (I totally welcome your comments on the blog).

Why You Should Never Slash Your Prices In A Recession

Just sayin'.   :thumbsup:

I appreciate you clearing some areas up on your software.  I've seen many that is 'standard pricing' and well that just won't work for me.

I'll check it out to see.

Thanks

I think I'll just stick to $5 a square foot for my banners. It has served me well for many years and I am still sharp enough to figure that in my head. Helps me to compete with the 'Fast Signs' franchise down the road. In the reality of it,that's what my competition is,and that's what sets my prices.

For newbees and also for complicated signs, I suppose4 estimating software has it's place. But nothing can take the place of experience and knowledge of your own market.

My prices are based on an average...some jobs show higher profit,some show less...but in the end,it all averages out.

As for slashing prices in a recession...so far, I have not had to do so. In fact, I have raised mine a bit. But bottom line is... I will do what I have to do to feed the dog and stay in business. I have seen 2 local shops go belly up (to my good fortune...love the bargains I got in supplies) because they didn't see the handwriting on the wall. If you have enough cash reserves to ride it out, that's fine. But this recession(really depression) is not gonna be over any time soon. It's gonna be long and it's gonna get worse. I have spent too much time building my business to see it go under due to short-sighted pride on my part.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Your time is worth ONLY what someone is willing to pay you. If you are sitting on your butt, you are getting paid zero so your time is worth zero. CASH flow is what keeps a business going. YOu can't pay the bills on wishful thinking.

A lot of sign pros call it 'price slashing'..I call it a SALE. Kinda like offering a free trial on something. You give them something at a reduced rate,temporarily,hoping that you will get more busness in the future.

Just my 2p worth.

Boy Mark, you and I sure differ on a fundamental way to run a business.   ;D  I have heard this from prominent members around here....don't let money walk out the door, and that is something I have taken to heart from being a part of our family run business all my life through both lean times and good times (Diesel Mechanic work & fuel)!  If it means I have to work twice as hard or 4x as hard to make the same money in this recession....so be it.  What you will find is when you come out on the other side of it....you have gained a lot of customers busting your butt.  A customer knows when you do him a favor, when you cut him a deal, and when you are there til 9 at night finishing his work to get it to him as soon as you can.  They see it...they remember it, and it builds customer loyalty.  Having to pinch pennies and watch your finances make people shop for the best deal they can get....plain and simple.  Sure you work harder to make the same money when you discount that sign and make a sale, you said it yourself you have to do 2 or 3 jobs instead of one.  But you also have to realize...thats 2 people instead of one who you did a job for, 2 contacts and jobs you may have taken from your competitors in a time when there is less work to be done out there, and 2 people with a chance for repeat business.  I am sorry, but making sales that still retain profitability and working twice as hard will not bankrupt you....watching the guy down the street take your customers after they walked out your door will!  Just my .02 :thumbsup:.    

With that said....I do thank you greatly for your company's decision to offer the EstiMate software for free.  I think its a great idea....you are giving people something, letting them get accustomed to and learn about your software, and may make a sale in the future.  I will tell you its going to get me in the door where there was no way I would have spent money on it before, you might stand a chance now!

Welcome to the Forum, always good to have new members around and its great to see others opinions on how to do things!

A customer knows when you do him a favor, when you cut him a deal, and when you are there til 9 at night finishing his work to get it to him as soon as you can.  They see it...they remember it, and it builds customer loyalty.

I totally get how you feel, and having grown up in a family sign shop I know *exactly* what you're talking about.  I felt that way for years ("live and die by the telephone" was Mom's phrase).

While I agree that the customer remembers the favor, I've found over the years that if you do a customer a favor once, they will want it again.  And that if that favor was based on price you stand a strong chance of losing them to the next guy who offers them a "better favor."

All I'm really saying is to make the favors revolve around other factors than price.

MY .02  :thumbsup:

Agreed, by favor I wasn't meaning giving them a price lower, I mean working hard to get their job out when you are swamped......cutting them an extra letter when they messed one up applying it themselves something of that sort.

Also, when you are doing your invoices and such, I feel its important to be clear that these are not your normal prices, make sure it says on the invoice your normal prices, and then you do a line item discount of %25 or something of that sort.  That helps customers keep your normal prices separate from your sale prices, and makes them not expect it in the future.  The MOST important thing is to do quality work and give great customer service, especially in hard economic times.  At least thats how I feel.

A customer knows when you do him a favor, when you cut him a deal, and when you are there til 9 at night finishing his work to get it to him as soon as you can.  They see it...they remember it, and it builds customer loyalty.

While I agree that the customer remembers the favor, I've found over the years that if you do a customer a favor once, they will want it again.  And that if that favor was based on price you stand a strong chance of losing them to the next guy who offers them a "better favor."

MY .02  :thumbsup:

I guess it varies from person to person but my experience has been 100% opposite. My customers come back time and again because of the quality of my work,and the service I give them.

Like TlZ said...never let money walk out the door.

I'm certainly not going to argue with you, your points are well made and you know what works for you.  My own experience has been, however, that shoppers remain shoppers and loyalists remain loyalists.  I've never personally gotten a loyalist on a cheap price alone, without (in the long run) always working for them for cheap.

I raised my prices about 40-50% at one point and the net result was I lost all my shoppers and only about 10% of the loyalists.  My overall bottom line skyrocketed.  That's why I'm so passionate about all this.  :thumbsup:

if I raised my prices 40-50% ( I can't think why I would,except maybe greed and laziness) all I would have left are the half-wits who don't realize they are getting shafted.

I could explain MAYBE 10% rise in prices due to increased costs..but a huge rise like that just screams greed and says to my customers : "I don't really want to work as hard for my money as you have to and I'm expecting you to bear the cost".

You see, I realize that most of my customers work for their money too...just like I do. And most of them have less now than ever to spend on signs and advertising.

I guess I'm just satisfied with an honest day's pay for an honest day's work. I'm not greedy. That's just how I was raised. Also, I don't have income from something I created once and just keep selling.